Question Cursor Analog Stick?

GC64

Portables
I'm sure you've all thought about this before, but is the idea of using an analog stick as the wii cursor a possibility? I mean the way I see it, the one true way to have a handheld wii portable would be one which can play wii games, not just gamecube games and emulators. One requirement for this to happen, I think, would be having an analog stick act as the controller's cursor. Is this possible? Sorry if this has already been asked before.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
This is a good question, and one we all have been thinking about since we started portablizing the Wii. People have discussed the possibility and looked into it, but no proof of concept has been shown yet as far as I know. We would all love to see it happen, but so far nobody with enough time, skill, and interest has taken on the challenge.

Is it possible? Probably, but nobody has shown a proof of concept yet. I don't know much about software, but I know it would be quite a difficuilt task to pull off.

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
If you wanted full compatibility with all wii games without software patches you would essentially need to rebuild a wiimote with a front end for the bluetooth protocol. Then you could control the coordinates with an analog stick and tell the wii that the controller is pointed at a tv and this is where it's pointed.

To be frank there really hasn't been any particular interest in this since most of the good wii games out there you can get by just fine with out it. There are a couple it would be nice for though like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. In which you have to point the cursor to collect and shoot star bits at lumas.

GC64

Portables
If you wanted full compatibility with all wii games without software patches you would essentially need to rebuild a wiimote with a front end for the bluetooth protocol. Then you could control the coordinates with an analog stick and tell the wii that the controller is pointed at a tv and this is where it's pointed.

To be frank there really hasn't been any particular interest in this since most of the good wii games out there you can get by just fine with out it. There are a couple it would be nice for though like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. In which you have to point the cursor to collect and shoot star bits at lumas.
Well obviously there wouldn't be full support for all wii games, like wii sports for instance, but for games like mario galaxy you'd need it to shoot starbits as you said, as well as to grab on to those gravity pull things, etc. there would also have to be a way to shake the remote, and tilt it for that ray-riding level. All in all, I totally understand that the realistic aspect is not showing, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any info on the idea.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
There's one best way to do it, and a bunch of other ways that can sort of work. cIOS would be the best way, because not only could you remove the actual hardware required, but also get more information out of the Wii, so that you can autodetect games and load profiles from USB to map required functionality to buttons.

If you set aside a button or two to act as a modifier, mapping things becomes super simple. You can 1:1 stuff like Nunchuk to GC analog, and then use the cstick + modifier keys to emulate axis and pointing. To push it even further, there's no multiplayer situation, so you have access to 3 more GC ports and can wire up more controller for more buttons.

GC64

Portables
There's one best way to do it, and a bunch of other ways that can sort of work. cIOS would be the best way, because not only could you remove the actual hardware required, but also get more information out of the Wii, so that you can autodetect games and load profiles from USB to map required functionality to buttons.

If you set aside a button or two to act as a modifier, mapping things becomes super simple. You can 1:1 stuff like Nunchuk to GC analog, and then use the cstick + modifier keys to emulate axis and pointing. To push it even further, there's no multiplayer situation, so you have access to 3 more GC ports and can wire up more controller for more buttons.
Hmm, well unfortunately I have very minimal experience with wii modding and therefore don't know how cIOS works. When you say 'actual hardware required', what hardware are you referring to? Also, is cIOS used to make given buttons act as modifiers?

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
This thread is nearing 6 years old. In 2016 the Wii portabilizing revolution was just beginning - in the time since then, we've achieved software patches to emulate Wii controls with a GC controller.

Please avoid bumping old threads @Leon lat.
Edit: I've also edited your post to contain the actual Youtube link. I don't know why you posted only a portion of it but that site that was just a substring of youtube is kind of sketch.