Question Controller-port not working

SON4

Hi,

I am kinda new to N64 modding/repairing and I ran into a strange issue.

Backstory, in case it is somehow relevant:
I got a not working NTSC-J N64 that hat no image, after further inspection (and a lot of help from my younger brother) I noticed that the voltage regulator (U13 12 to 5v) got kinda hot, so I replaced that and capacitor C130 ( 68 uF).
That got rid of a short and the no image problem. Now I can start the console and boot into my everdrive module.

New Problem:
Now the controller port acts strange. The N64 always thinks that there is a controller, even if there is none. But a connected controller wont do anything.
So the port is broken, but the console thinks everything is fine, and a controller is connected.

Observation:
What happens is that I boot into the everdrive, on a working console without a controler the focus (cursor?) will switch between the first two Options on the screen. With a connected controller it will stay in place till there is an input. With this console it will not switch without a controller, but also not accept any input with an controller.
Ofc I tested multiple controller.

So I cleaned the port, resoldered the connection, even tho it measured fine from Port to Board. I just have no clue what to do on the board.

I hope that is enough information, I basically have no clue what I am doing here.

Thanks in advance

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
We'll need clear photos of both sides of the board in order to help

SON4

We'll need clear photos of both sides of the board in order to help
Thank you.

Here are some pictures, If you need a detailed picture of something, please let me know.

Attachments

SON4

Additional Info: 3.3V is fine on Pin 1 (every port)

Portables
Nice photos but could you do 1 more with the front half of the top of the N64? I don't know if it'll shed light on the issue but one of the pif* chips handles the controllers

Last edited:

SON4

Update: Some issue is going on with the player 3 and 4 ports. I Have no clue if that is related to anything. But I only measured 1.3V on Player 3 Data Pin .

I also measure 1.3V on the Player 3 Data Pin on the PIF Chip. 3.3V for all other Ports.

I then measured D5 Pin 4 and 5 to the Data pins of player 3 and 4. = 2V
D5 Pin 4 to ground is 3.3
D5 Pin 5 to Ground is 1.3

SON4

Here more Details on the Port 3 issues. C157 seems to be the Problem, right? I am still not sure If that is the Problem for all other Ports (especially Port 1)

Attachments

SON4

Hey, me again :)
The problem seems to be R39, I bridged it and it seems to be fine. I am now waiting for a replacement