Controller issues

Been working on the G-Boy Rev III following the manual and everything has been going smoothly until connecting the controller wiring. As far as I can tell, everything should be working. I've tested continuity with a multimeter and the connections seem reliable and solid. The Wii boots and loads BBLoader. However, button presses aren't translating to anything on the Wii. There was another thread on here about a month ago (thread: Controller not working) and I've followed the steps in that as well to try and troubleshoot. I tried connecting a GameCube controller port from the original Wii to the trim and still didn't get a response onscreen. I'm worried that maybe the trim was a bit too aggressive and there's also a spot where my Dremel slipped putting a nice gash in the board handily highlighted in one of the pics with a red circle.

Appreciate any help or insight as to what to try next or if I need to trim a new mobo.

Attachments

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I can say that gash isn't the cause. Try cleaning off the board with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush, it looks like there's some stray solder blobs and Flux around...

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Make sure you do what cheese said above. Also, what is the u10 output looking like? Sometimes u10 can cause issues with peripherals if it isn’t working properly. I’d also make sure there’s no shorts next to any neighboring vias on the main data line and u10 via.

Cheers all, looks like my U10 relocation was a bit shoddy though it did need to be cleaned. After refiguring the U10 controls were working and booting is consistent now. Didn't realize before reading around that U10 issues could be linked to peripheral issues and I was planning on trying that since my boots were pretty inconsistent. Thanks!