Discussion Consoles that I think should be trimmed

I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. It would be cool if the following consoles could be trimmed:

PS3 Super Slim:
Screenshot_20200724-123328.png

PS3 Slim:
Screenshot_20200724-123411.png

Xbox 360 S or E (E motherboard pictured)
Screenshot_20200724-123246.png

Wii U (Press X to doubt)
Screenshot_20200724-124502.png

Xbox One S (Distant Future)
Screenshot_20200724-124634.png

Xbox One X (Not Sure)
Screenshot_20200724-124705.png

PlayStation or PSone
Screenshot_20200724-125005.png

OG Xbox (Not Sure)
Screenshot_20200724-125241.png

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Ignoring the fact that the important chips are vastly distributed around these boards preventing them from being trimmed, all of these consoles use such an absurd amount of power that it's not even worth discussing why you would want to trim them in the first place.

Lmfao, I know that some of the critical components are far away from one another. Some of these may not even be possible (rip portable Wii U). I'm not sure, but would relocation of components work somehow and would it get easier in the future using some custom PCBs? Also, power consumption bro..

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
IMO, it's feasible to relocate the Wii U's two NANDs and SMC, none of which are high-speed. The problem then becomes the disc drive, which hasn't been patched out through homebrew AFAIK, and is a SATA interface. The 4 data traces go from the DD connector straight under the Latte, just like the Wii Bluetooth traces, but it's such a high-speed interface compared to Wii BT (USB) that hand-wiring might not work well enough for the DD handshake to occur. (Impedance control and all that jazz.)

Anyway, assuming you figure all of that out, you still have a motherboard the size of an untrimmed GameCube that runs hotter than the surface of the sun. Just not worth the effort when every U game worth playing has been ported to Switch already. :P

Lmfao, true. Someone probably will make a meme Wii U portable that's just a huge DS.

I thought I would see the NES and SNES classic on here, seeing as they are already pretty on the small aide and draw very little power.

Bruh, how did I forget those? They're pretty similar internally, so trims might be similar as well.

MP3

Portables
Both the NES and SNES classic use the exact same boards. It's just the shell and the software that's different.

Lmfao, I know that some of the critical components are far away from one another. Some of these may not even be possible (rip portable Wii U). I'm not sure, but would relocation of components work somehow and would it get easier in the future using some custom PCBs? Also, power consumption bro..
I wouldn't doubt it considering it seems like it's going to be possible after all to make a Wii U port

jtryba

og xbox is only dual layer and can run with no dvd, a small latop hdd, and a Pico ATX PSU
Ive thought about cutting and folding it in half but thats kinda nuts

I thought I would see the NES and SNES classic on here, seeing as they are already pretty on the small aide and draw very little power.
I've been looking at portablising my nes classic, and based on my research: I have no idea what I'm doing, and trimming isn't really worth it. Thing is the board is already tiny, and has a nice usb power input; why bother if it works nicely? Anyway has anyone else done much with them?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I've been looking at portablising my nes classic, and based on my research: I have no idea what I'm doing, and trimming isn't really worth it. Thing is the board is already tiny, and has a nice usb power input; why bother if it works nicely? Anyway has anyone else done much with them?
Better emulation is already possible with something like a Raspberry Pi, there would be no need to portablize one of the Mini's.

I'm still new to the whole making portables community and don't know much but I do know that any Xbox One or Xbox 360 would likely be impossible to make a portable like a Wii just because of the sheer heat they generate.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm still new to the whole making portables community and don't know much but I do know that any Xbox One or Xbox 360 would likely be impossible to make a portable like a Wii just because of the sheer heat they generate.
Please don't bump year-old threads.