Question Connect Wii Disc Drive to Gamecube

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
A few years ago on BenHeck, I asked if it would be possible to connect a Wii Disc Drive to a GameCube in order to slim down the GameCube for a portable that included a working disc drive.

Well, at the time everyone told me it was impossible, that it would never work,band that noone would ever get it to work, due to data protocols and so forth.

Now, it's been done, and works.

My question is does anyone here know how this is done now?

I want to build a GameCube laptop now, and would love to get a slot loading Wii drive in there.

Pic unrelated
IMG_20170622_133656.jpg

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
I've never done it, but I believe you should be able to do it if you follow the pinout on the left side. The pin numbers between the Wii and GameCube are basically reversed.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
It would be way smarter to just get a megadrive

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I've been out of the loop for a while, so you said Megadrive, and I thought Sega.

As it is I plan to use a board in between to switch between the Wii dd, and a dedicated discless specifically for the GBPlayer iso.

As this isn't going to be a handheld, and it's a laptop, I plan to incorporate the GBPlayer into the design. The dedicated discless will allow me to not need the GBPlayer disc in order to use the player.

And no, never will I attempt to add the broadband adapter, I see no use for it.

@ShockSlayer which megadrive revision would you suggest

@JacksonS thanks for the info, if I don't use a megadrive this is extremely helpful, I might due to monetary constraints

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
There are a couple of different revisions. If you're just making a home console, v3 is dead simple.