Community updates to Assembly Guide?

jiggly

I hit a few things in the guide that was a bit confusing to me but muddled my way through it by looking through based on what others did or my own debugging.
Some sections need further clarification, instructions match the pictures, or provide clearer pictures.

Are the docs in shareable git repo or is there someone we can forward suggestions?

Noah

retired
Portables
The manual software is proprietary so it can't be community edited, that's by design. What exactly did you have trouble with? Many people have been able to get their kit fully assembled without asking a single question. And for those who have issues/questions we include an invite to the G-Boy Discord server with each kit so that you can ask other builders for help if you're stuck.

jiggly

I'm new to the wii modding scene and I understand the kit is not targeted to newcomers.
However, I was able to get it up and running.

Thinking about this more, my thoughts/suggestions might make more sense in a build log.
I completely missed out on the discord invite (I was confused why I couldn't find it online, but just saw today the invite is on a sheet in the kit :( )

Some minor things:

In some of the photos, it showed alternative wirings compared to the instructions. This is fine, but at some points I was second guessing myself.

1) Step 13 - Wiring Wii

At the end, it mentions putting thermal paste and screwing the board onto the case if not doing the bluetooth relocation.
This is fine, altho you will need to remove the board again to access the 1.8V in step 16 - Wiring Audio.

Very minor nitpick. My concern is ensuring I don't strip out the posts given they are 3d printed and we're using machine screws. Side note, some of the screws from the Wii disassembly are a perfect fit for this and has a better bite into the posts.

2) Step 14 - Wiring the Controller

I couldn't find the "included GC+ 2.0 Configurator", but figured it was something you could download.

3) Step 15 - VGA

The instructions make no mention of the twisted pairs for the signals. Altho the pictures show them -> initial thought, are these alternative wirings?
I assumed they were necessary, but didn't know the importance for them until further research.

Testing VGA - It wasn't immediately clear to me that the mode pin toggles between VGA and composite. I thought it simply enabled VGA.
My silly expectation was changing the LCD source would allow me to see composite _and_ VGA outputs.
It didn't help that VGA out still leaves a lot to be desired, so I couldn't tell if I had actually switched over to composite.

Anyhow, it was a fun but challenging build. Thanks to @Gman and team, and the rest of the community for info and help!

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
for your question about the gc+ 2.0 configurator, you can find it here
for vga, it clearly says in the manual:

Using the twisted 34 AWG magnet wire we used to wire the USB lines, we will be wiring VGA to the LCD driver board.

• Twist and cut 4 lengths of magnet wire.
they are alternate wiring points, but it's recommended to wire both for each color, which is why the twisted wires are used

VGA out still leaves a lot to be desired
also, this shouldn't be the case. there should be a night and day difference between composite and vga. if games don't look better with vga out, you probably did something wrong

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm new to the wii modding scene and I understand the kit is not targeted to newcomers.
However, I was able to get it up and running.

Thinking about this more, my thoughts/suggestions might make more sense in a build log.
I completely missed out on the discord invite (I was confused why I couldn't find it online, but just saw today the invite is on a sheet in the kit :( )

Some minor things:

In some of the photos, it showed alternative wirings compared to the instructions. This is fine, but at some points I was second guessing myself.

1) Step 13 - Wiring Wii

At the end, it mentions putting thermal paste and screwing the board onto the case if not doing the bluetooth relocation.
This is fine, altho you will need to remove the board again to access the 1.8V in step 16 - Wiring Audio.

Very minor nitpick. My concern is ensuring I don't strip out the posts given they are 3d printed and we're using machine screws. Side note, some of the screws from the Wii disassembly are a perfect fit for this and has a better bite into the posts.

2) Step 14 - Wiring the Controller

I couldn't find the "included GC+ 2.0 Configurator", but figured it was something you could download.

3) Step 15 - VGA

The instructions make no mention of the twisted pairs for the signals. Altho the pictures show them -> initial thought, are these alternative wirings?
I assumed they were necessary, but didn't know the importance for them until further research.

Testing VGA - It wasn't immediately clear to me that the mode pin toggles between VGA and composite. I thought it simply enabled VGA.
My silly expectation was changing the LCD source would allow me to see composite _and_ VGA outputs.
It didn't help that VGA out still leaves a lot to be desired, so I couldn't tell if I had actually switched over to composite.

Anyhow, it was a fun but challenging build. Thanks to @Gman and team, and the rest of the community for info and help!
Thanks for the very detailed feedback, we'll make sure these changes are incorporated into future updates to the guides! Glad you still had fun even though you ran into problems.

jiggly said:
The panel included isn't 480P so it's not full resolution for what the Wii is outputting. Unfortunately we could have either delayed the launch of the kit by several months to include the newer 480P panels or just release it as so we opted for the latter. However as @A_s6 said there are still big improvements on the panel that's included in the kit vs. VGA.