Come up with wacky crazy electronics ideas

What type of electronics are you interested in?

• Taking things apart for fun

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • DIY builds

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Modding consoles (Kill Mii, or Louii as examples)

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Software design/ engineering

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
Make them do-able, but super fun/ interesting haha. e.g. electronic cat armor, or a program that tracks keyboard mice and how much scrolls or clicks youve made.

Portables
I work at a dairy and we have to go looking for the cows in the corral that we need and didn’t lock, an gps/satellite ear tag app that shows where the cows are lol

I've had some pretty weird ideas. Some of them involve taking a Wavebird GameCube controller, gutting it, putting some batteries in it and attach the front to a foldable screen/ trimmed Wii. The other side of the foldable part could have some solar panels to charge it. Also, what if you took your average $5 silicone button calculator, turned the screw posts into magnets, then integrated a raspberry pi zero or Retro FC into it? Those are a couple of the very doable ones.

Gotta know what crazy solar panels you have access to.
Ok, maybe not very doable, but the cost of quality solar panels are going down a bit now, so if you're out camping and you bring it and forget to charge it, or something like that, just put it on your backpack and go on a long hike. If you're in a sunny area, then it should have at least a small bit of charge. Or you could leave it out all day outside your tent to get charge. It's not meant to be a practice charge and play, but rather a cool (but rather impractical) feature.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Then you'd have to waterproof your portable so the elements don't destroy it :rothink:

Maybe you could make a portable, I've heard there's some guides or something how to do that somewhere... Sounds pretty neat and wacky to me

Then you'd have to waterproof your portable so the elements don't destroy it :rothink:

Maybe you could make a portable, I've heard there's some guides or something how to do that somewhere... Sounds pretty neat and wacky to me
Y'all have a very fair point. In my head it looked and sounded cooler with a detachable screen and stuff like that. But, now that I really think about it it's just a clamshell Wii Portable. Lesson learned, things sometimes sound alot cooler in your head. That's what Nintendo learned with the virtual boy right? (Don't take that as seriously as you are everything else I say.)

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I'm an idea man, I have a never ending supply of ideas for electronics and software, but rarely the knowledge or resources to do anything with them.

One such idea that came about a month ago to me, a bluetooth mechanical keyboard with 5 bluetooth addresses so it can be simultaneously connected to up to 5 devices, or be synced to 5 devices with the ability to switch between them on the fly

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm an idea man, I have a never ending supply of ideas for electronics and software, but rarely the knowledge or resources to do anything with them.

One such idea that came about a month ago to me, a bluetooth mechanical keyboard with 5 bluetooth addresses so it can be simultaneously connected to up to 5 devices, or be synced to 5 devices with the ability to switch between them on the fly
When you want to mess with 4 coworkers simultaneously and still look like you're doing work.

XCVG

Portables
A while back I found out that boxes that combine multiple video signals into one are a thing. A 4-way multiviewer with 4K output capability would give you four very respectable 1080p virtual screens.

So how is that useful? It's a hardware splitscreen solution for PC gaming.

Build it into a cart, optionally with space to store all the peripherals and cables. Either four individual PCs or one PC with four GPUs passed through to four VMs. If you use GPUs with VirtualLink connectors you can use that for USB and don't need separate USB card to pass through. Hook it to a screen, plug in the power cable, give everyone their own peripherals and play whatever multiplayer games you want!

It would be huge and expensive, and I was never able to figure out how the audio would work. It might also be possible to do this without the hardware component via VM magic, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in that area to say for sure.

aaaa

what about a nintendo 3ds or something like that, and making it a home console? like de - portablizing it (disablizing??)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
3ds would be particularly hard, maybe a gameboy advance or earlier would be easier since the display protocol is more widely known

The OMEGA trim is the size of a GB cartridge, right? So what if you made a GB-style portable, but with the Wii inside of a GB cartridge, thereby making the actual Wii removable from the rest of the portable (because that’s definitely what the world needs :awesome:). I suppose that would let you make multiple portables that all look different but use the same trimmed Wii. However, if it gets slightly jiggled inside the portable, it may not go so well.