Discussion cIOS modification for controlling more wii games with GC controller

Raflos

I realize that this forum is mostly dedicated to portable builds, but I think this project would be valuable to those of you making portable wiis, as well to those of us who just want more accessibility options with our games.

What I want is to modify a cIOS with a controller emulation framework like what Nintendont has, so that wii games can be played with more controller options. This would be very beneficial to those of you who are building/have built a portable wii so that your built-in controller can support games like Xenoblade, Kirby, New Mario Bros, basically any wii game that doesn't require motion/IR. It would be beneficial to me because I want to play those games with the wii u pro controller.

So I'm looking for anyone who has messed with wii IOS code before. I'm by no means an advanced programmer, but I have some experience. Currently I don't see any reason it wouldn't be possible.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I realize that this forum is mostly dedicated to portable builds, but I think this project would be valuable to those of you making portable wiis, as well to those of us who just want more accessibility options with our games.

What I want is to modify a cIOS with a controller emulation framework like what Nintendont has, so that wii games can be played with more controller options. This would be very beneficial to those of you who are building/have built a portable wii so that your built-in controller can support games like Xenoblade, Kirby, New Mario Bros, basically any wii game that doesn't require motion/IR. It would be beneficial to me because I want to play those games with the wii u pro controller.

So I'm looking for anyone who has messed with wii IOS code before. I'm by no means an advanced programmer, but I have some experience. Currently I don't see any reason it wouldn't be possible.
It is very possible, in fact, @Aurelio is already working on it and has made good progress. It's not ready for release yet, but he can explain it better than I can.

Raflos

That's great news! I'd be willing to help him if he needs any help from someone who has absolutely no idea how IOS code works.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
That's great news! I'd be willing to help him if he needs any help from someone who has absolutely no idea how IOS code works.
Well, he does need beef jerky.

Raflos

Right, I mean I can't promise anything since I'm a poor college student but I would definitely value this modification above the cost of buying an extra controller for example.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Uh, that's not quite what he's working on. He's looking into allowing games to replace wii remotes with gamecube controllers. Things like using a wii U controller or another unsupported controller would be far more work than he is probably willing to put into it, since it's already a quite involved process just for what he's been working on so far...

Raflos

If he creates a cIOS that does what you say, I'm fairly confident I could use the available libraries like libWUPC to add in support for other controllers. Assuming he releases the source code. If not, well all I can do is hope he does add them.

cheese

Staff member
If he creates a cIOS that does what you say, I'm fairly confident I could use the available libraries like libWUPC to add in support for other controllers. Assuming he releases the source code. If not, well all I can do is hope he does add them.
I know he doesn't intend to release the code, he's mentioned this before. Also, writing cIOS is definitely not as easy as you think, since you can't just use libraries, you have to rewrite them.

Didn't think about this before, but what he is implementing is removing the bluetooth module, so you can't exactly connect a bluetooth controller (unless you can wire the wii u controller through USB, I'm not sure, I don't have one).

Not trying to ruin you dreams or whatever, just letting you know

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
No, it would need a completely different thing. I am replacing the whole Bluetooth stack implementation, which means that nothing using the Bluetooth module is going to work

JacksonS

Portables
(unless you can wire the wii u controller through USB, I'm not sure, I don't have one)
Just wanted to note that you cannot since the USB data lines are only used for detecting charger sources.

Raflos

Well man, I doubt I can change your mind about releasing the source code. And I understand that it was a lot of work uncovering the knowledge on how IOS works.
I will say this: There are a lot of people who would really value wii u pro controller support in wii games. I would put the value of that feature for me at about the cost of buying two or three additional controllers. And there are a lot more simple wii homebrew users than portable console builders out there who I'm sure would donate as well.
Obviously it's completely up to you if you wanted to give it a try after finishing the current one you're making.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Well man, I doubt I can change your mind about releasing the source code. And I understand that it was a lot of work uncovering the knowledge on how IOS works.
I will say this: There are a lot of people who would really value wii u pro controller support in wii games. I would put the value of that feature for me at about the cost of buying two or three additional controllers. And there are a lot more simple wii homebrew users than portable console builders out there who I'm sure would donate as well.
Obviously it's completely up to you if you wanted to give it a try after finishing the current one you're making.
The thing is that it needs a different approach to the problem, which would mean writing a whole new patching system and I am not really interested in doing that as of now (also for lack of time).

Raflos

Ok no worries.
If you ever change your mind about sharing some information about IOS code, please send me a message or something. :)
The less possible people say it is, the more I want to try it for some reason.

cheese

Staff member
The less possible people say it is, the more I want to try it for some reason.
It's definitely possible, the issue is Aurelio is the only one who has put in the time to research all the quirks and requirements for IOS modifications, and he doesn't have much in the way of time because of his schooling. I've looked into it a little, not nearly as much as Aurelio, but I know it's more complicated than just recompiling a library.

If you want to look into it, by all means, go ahead! I would suggest if you try to do ios work, do all your testing in an emunand, or on a 01 wii that has the boot2 bug. That way you won't brick your system if your code doesn't work first try. I would also suggest NOT releasing any tools or code you work on/with. It may seem strange, but it is almost certain that someone else will brick their console instead of doing something productive with it (this is the same reasoning behind why Aurelio hasn't released his tools/code).

Raflos

Yeah I figured on some level that if it were that easy to make, it would already exist. I mean some homebrew projects do things that boggle my mind, yet they exist and are publicly available. The fact that this hasn't been done yet must mean it is a daunting task.
I understand, it would be a bad feeling if someone bricked their console using information you provided. Thankfully in all the years I've been doing homebrew I've never bricked a console, but if I were to take on this project, I'd do it with the full expectation of bricking a wii or two in the process. I have two of them, and I know where to find cheap used ones. I remember watching videos years ago of people showing off their portable gamecubes, and explaining that they bricked over 40 in the process.
Hopefully using an emunand will prevent that, so I appreciate that advice. I wouldn't dream of using the wii with all my saves for testing.
I will say this: Any information from you guys that happens to fall into my hands will remain in my hands only.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yeah I figured on some level that if it were that easy to make, it would already exist. I mean some homebrew projects do things that boggle my mind, yet they exist and are publicly available. The fact that this hasn't been done yet must mean it is a daunting task.
I understand, it would be a bad feeling if someone bricked their console using information you provided. Thankfully in all the years I've been doing homebrew I've never bricked a console, but if I were to take on this project, I'd do it with the full expectation of bricking a wii or two in the process. I have two of them, and I know where to find cheap used ones. I remember watching videos years ago of people showing off their portable gamecubes, and explaining that they bricked over 40 in the process.
Hopefully using an emunand will prevent that, so I appreciate that advice. I wouldn't dream of using the wii with all my saves for testing.
I will say this: Any information from you guys that happens to fall into my hands will remain in my hands only.
Being able of writing cIOS modules requires some reverse engineering capabilities. If you have them, you don't need to get any information from me or from anyone else. Figure them out just like me and others did in the past.