Question Cheaper, but similar alternative to the PTH08080WAH

I've been looking to get back into the portable wii world again, and after my first failed attempt a few months ago, I've taken time to learn about the basics of electricity, the parts that use it, and how things work. I'm still no where even close to perfect, nobody is, I'm only 15.

But I'm looking at the wii power supply options, and I know not to cheap out, but I just managed to save up for a PC so money is scarce until I find another job. So the PTH08080WAH, it's a good option, (but not the best I've heard), and I've been comparing some other IC's to the PTH module, and the TPS6213x looks like a decent alternative. Now, I'm looking at the datasheet and here are some comparisons:

Efficiency curves: very similar, but the TPS seems to be slightly less efficient
PTH has 2.25A output, and the TPS has a 3A output
4.5-18V input on the PTH, compared to 3-17V on the TPS
0.9-5.5V output, and 0.9-6V output
the PTH a lot more expensive than the TPS
But the TPS needs a PCB and hot air solder gun unless you want to order pre-assembled from JLC which at the time of this post, they have in stock

I don't have a good enough skillset to understand some of the specs, but the two PMICs look very similar and I'm wondering if the TPS could be used as a wii supply. I'm asking for somebodies help who has a better understanding of this than me

PTH08080WAH datasheet https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pth08080w.pdf
TPS6213x datasheet https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps62130.pdf?HQS=TI-null-null-mousermode-df-pf-null-wwe&ts=1594880806550&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mouser.com%2F

Any help, feedback, and pointers are greatly appreciated!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If the TPS6213x boards are made decently to spec, they'll perform just fine. The efficiency difference will be pretty negligible, you'll probably just have to perform the Rset calcs yourself to find the resistor values needed to tell each module what voltage it should output.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
FYI, TPS62130 is what is used on the PMS (actually the slightly less efficient but slightly cheaper TLV variant). I am using the TPS62130 on my PMS.

The reason the PTH are more expensive is because they are a preassembled module with a PMIC on it. The PCB, assembly, inductor, etc adds cost. They are meant for an application where you don't want to design a power circuit. The TPS PMIC is a good choice for a Wii portable, but of course you must implement the circuit into a PCB. TI does a good job at helping you with this though. More often than not, they provide a schematic AND layout guidelines for their parts.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
FYI, TPS62130 is what is used on the PMS (actually the slightly less efficient but slightly cheaper TLV variant). I am using the TPS62130 on my PMS.
I would like to see some data to support this statement since the two datasheets literally use the same figures for all the efficiency plots. The differences between the TLV and TPS families have nothing to do with efficiency. The differences between the two are very marginal and irrelevant for this kind of applications, making the few extra bucks you paid for a set of regs for your PMS wasted money.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I would like to see some data to support this statement since the two datasheets literally use the same figures for all the efficiency plots. The differences between the TLV and TPS families have nothing to do with efficiency. The differences between the two are very marginal and irrelevant for this kind of applications, making the few extra bucks you paid for a set of regs for your PMS wasted money.
One different is a quiescent current savings of 2uA, which as you said, is marginal.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
In some sense wasted quiescent current draw has something to do with efficiency, but is the wrong term to use when talking about the step down efficiency, which has a substantially greater effect on wasted power.
Quiescent current is the current wasted when the reg is active and has no load connected, so no, it has nothing to do with efficiency. Stop clutching at straws.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

The reason the PTH are more expensive is because they are a preassembled module with a PMIC on it. The PCB, assembly, inductor, etc adds cost. They are meant for an application where you don't want to design a power circuit. The TPS PMIC is a good choice for a Wii portable, but of course you must implement the circuit into a PCB. TI does a good job at helping you with this though. More often than not, they provide a schematic AND layout guidelines for their parts.
The PMS doesnt use either of these ICs

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The PMS doesnt use either of these ICs
Sorry, it was used on PowerMii Lite, I didn't know a different regulator was used on the PMS.

Quiescent current is the current wasted when the reg is active and has no load connected, so no, it has nothing to do with efficiency. Stop clutching at straws.
After reading the datasheet some more, I can see that the quiescent current draw is not the current draw when the regulator is powered but not enabled, but rather it enters a 1.5uA draw shutdown mode. Sorry for the misinformation.