Question Cheap surface mount Capacitors?

Does anyone know of any cheap surface mount capacitors that will work as the input and output ones for the PTH regs? Or if they even exist? I've whipped this up in like 20 minutes thinking it'd be easy, but am having trouble finding reasonably priced 100uf 16v-20v surface mount caps. They appear to range anywhere between $1 to $9 each. And seeing as I need 4-8 of them per board, it is too expensive for this since I can get these blank boards made for about $0.20 a pop. Ideally this lines up with the corner that gets chopped off on the OMGWTF trim and makes a complete and easy to use rectangle.
RegBoard.png

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Unfortunately, these kinds of caps aren't really widely used, and they cost a fair bit to make compared to ones of lesser capacity. $1.50 each for a 10v 100uf is about the best you'll get. Otherwise, you'll have to work out placement for some electrolytic caps.

Herma

Depends on what you want. If you want ceramics glhf trying to find low quantities under 1 dollar a pop for a 100 uF. With tantalums you can get in that range, they're good for bulk capacitance, if you need to reduce transients you can throw a cheaper 0.1 uF or so ceramic in parallel.

Thanks for the help! I was able to find these guys. But at the crazy low price (compared to Mouser) hopefully I don't get boned. We'll see in a few days. Thanks guys!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the help! I was able to find these guys. But at the crazy low price (compared to Mouser) hopefully I don't get boned. We'll see in a few days. Thanks guys!
From what I remember, tantalum caps should really have a rated voltage of more than double the max working voltage, but 8.4v max from the lipos is close enough.