Discussion Casing idea

OK, so I totally forgot I had this, and realised it could be perfect to house all the wii portable circuitry.

IMG_20190528_131741.jpg

Of course, I don't wanna be cannibalising this thing, so I'll most likely be making a silicon mold of the shell and modifying it slightly (speaker vents, cooling vents, IR and led holes) the question is, if I could produce these, would there be a demand for them? I mean assuming I get a good cast from the mold, and it looks funky fresh

Also, any ideas or suggestions to make the future housing even better would be muchly appreciated :)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
These things are so rare that I don't think it's worth destroying them for a portable. If I wanted to proceed with a build of this form factor, I would cut a regular GC controller in half and 3d print an extended middle section and frankencase them together. That way you get the benefits of a 3d printed case, holes where you want them, perfect size, screw posts, without having to waste a nice gaming artifact.

As I said, I'm not gonna destroy it, but make a mold of the housing, and reproduce it. What you said about the gc controller was actually my original idea, until I remember I had the ascii controller.

The reason I wanna make a mold, is so I could make a few copies. You said yourself that you wanted a build from that form factor, and I'm sure there's quite a few others that wouldn't mind getting it either

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I think that's a cool idea, but do you have any experience with molding large objects? From what I've heard and seen, it's no easy feat, but if you have experience with that sort of thing then I'd say go for it.

No experience, but I'm a quick learner, generally very handy. Mother is a crafter, father is a mechanic and I used to be a an electronics tester, then a builder/gardener. and I do a hell of a lot of research before I do anything. Planning is always key.