Question Capacitor C98 destroyed. Requesting help

AP0000

Greetings, incredible community!

Recently I’ve been doing some work on GameCube motherboard. In the process, a small capacitor number C98 was obliterated by my miserable and lackluster soldering skills. Photos of the incident provided. I nearly gave up hope when I stumbled across this wonderful community and decided to ask for help here. I need to find out the value of this capacitor so I could replace it.

The GameCube is Dol-101, PAL region. I did not try to turn it on after this happened in fear of further damaging the machine.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Most likely you can replace it with a 16v 100uf cap and it'll be fine

AP0000

Most likely you can replace it with a 16v 100uf cap and it'll be fine
Hello,

Thank you for the answer. Well, in the name of science I will try that then! :D
I will first try to power it on like it is now, then replace the cap. I will report on the results, hopefully this will help another guy like me.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello,

Thank you for the answer. Well, in the name of science I will try that then! :D
I will first try to power it on like it is now, then replace the cap. I will report on the results, hopefully this will help another guy like me.
Actually you probably don't need to replace it at all, looking closer, that cap was for a voltage supply to one of the unused EXT ports. You can replace it if you want to use that pin to power perpherals, but it'll work perfectly fine without it.

AP0000

Actually you probably don't need to replace it at all, looking closer, that cap was for a voltage supply to one of the unused EXT ports. You can replace it if you want to use that pin to power perpherals, but it'll work perfectly fine without it.
Hello again!

Sadly, it appears your information is not correct, as I’ve tried to boot up the Cube recently. There is power, but no video or audio signal, so either the damage went deeper than I expected, or the capacitor is actually vital for the work of the system. I will update this topic when I replace it with the cap mentioned above. Cheers!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
There must be other damage then, caps on voltage lines like that are only for ripple reduction to prevent damage to the connected perpheral, which isn't connected so it shouldn't matter.