Solved Can i use a Wii mini drive on a normal soft modded Wii?

Hfrox

I am asking this because i want to take a hacked Wii and put the motherboard into a Wii mini case. ( i do not mind cutting the case to add the extra USB or a SD card slot) and i would like to use the Wii mini disc drive because i like the top loader style.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Maybe. The drive is similar, but a couple things work differently, and there are a lot of "data" pins present on the Wii that are non-existent on the Wii Mini drive.

Plus you have to actually determine the correct pinout for each and match the pins, which still took me about 6 hours and I knew what I was doing.

Hfrox

So is there a adapter or a pin layout i could follow so i could get this to work or do you have any more tips i want to get this to work

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
Nope and nope. The normal Wii is probably going to be looking for data it's not going to get, and it's currently unknown if that data even comes out of the Wii Mini drive.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
My guess is that it's possible, but would require quite a bit of work to map the traces.

The Wii mini is mostly uncharted territory. If you decide to pursue this project, we would love to see your findings.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
I've already mapped the entire connected. There is a large handful of data pins that are missing.

Hfrox

So i guess that i could not adapt the wii mini drive to the normal wii drive. i guess this is solved