Solved Can i use 3ds analog stick on original gamecube pad?

Noah

retired
Portables
Not without a converter board, no. The 3DS sticks don’t have the range of the joysticks that the GC controller was designed to use so they won’t work well on it. GC+ accounts for this by letting you set the range of your sticks. If you want to use the 3DS sticks with no extra hardware then GC+ is the way to go.

Noah

retired
Portables
@Noah "sticks don’t have the range " you mean resistance?
Joysticks in the GameCube controller use the "traditional" 10k potentiometer. 3DS sticks don't and have a smaller range than GC sticks, so it affects the range you're able to move the stick. If you open an app like Visual Controller Test on the Wii it'll show you how far the sticks "move." Normal GC sticks have a -127, 127 range meaning it can go back and forth between those two values on both the X & Y axis. The 3DS sticks on the other hand only go to about 80. So, for example in a game like LoZ where Link starts to move faster the higher you push the joystick, you would not be able to reach that max running speed because the 3DS sticks just can't reach what the Wii and GC perceive as the max X/Y value.

Portables
hmm.. sound strange i thought that gamecube controller is like a microcontroller and it reads the voltrage drop on particular axis. So lower resistance of 3ds stick may affect the internal resistance of gamecube controller ic ?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
hmm.. sound strange i thought that gamecube controller is like a microcontroller and it reads the voltrage drop on particular axis. So lower resistance of 3ds stick may affect the internal resistance of gamecube controller ic ?
The joystick is a voltage divider circuit so resistance is not a big factor. The thing about the 3DS sliders is that it cannot reach its full minimum and maximum resistance values so the voltage output will be different.

Portables
ok, 3ds sliders can't reach min max resistance due to it building, ok now i get it (i know how voltage divider works so that was strange to me that 3ds sliders does not work on original gamecube controller like other analog sticks), thanks