Can I revive this battery?

rcb123

So I was looking through my garage and found a UPS of sorts. Its a 12V UPS (DC output) and uses a 12V motorcycle battery (GP 1272 f2). It's been in my garage for a couple of years at least.

The problem is that this 12V battery is sitting at around 6.5 volts. After a day of charging its at 7.5 volts. Is it possible to get it back up to 12V?

I've switched to using a 12V 6A charger now, but the current is reading 0A (It's an analog meter though).

I've looked this up and haven't seen anyone online with anywhere near as low of a voltage reading, and was wondering if the battery is faulty, if it is dangerous to charge it, and if I can get it back to near full voltage.

Edit: switched the mode to 2A, forgot about trickle charge. The battery charger is probably 20-30 years old so it doesn't care about voltage. Tested working on another battery.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Sounds like the battery is toast. There's no way to revive it, and charging it could be dangerous. Best to get rid of it at this point.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you have to ask that question, the answer is almost always no. Unfortunately that battery is most likely as dead as Modretro.

rcb123

Yeah, battery voltage went back down to 7V but was still not drawing any current. Probably need to get rid of it. I'll probably just buy Razer scooter replacement batteries, they're about 20-25$ for 2 12V 5-7Ah batteries.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If there is a store around you that sells those kinds of batteries, you may be able to get it cheaper there (at least in the US), since you can get a refund on the core charge by bringing in the old battery