Question Can I charge three 18650 batteries with a 5v 1a charger?

Hello! I'm in the middle of a PORTABLE PS2 project. This modification will use three 18650 batteries of 3.7 and 2200mAh to make 11.1v and then regulate it to 8.5v directly to the power port of the PS2. It should be noted that it is a SCPH-90010. I will charge the batteries with a 2.1mm jack input. So my question is .. Can I charge the three 18650 batteries with a 5v 1a charger? That is, a smartphone charger? I would prefer that you respond here instead of redirecting me to the BitBuilt battery guide. Thanks, forum.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well uh, the reason we have the guide is so you can answer your own questions. If you read through it, you'll have your answer.
It's no by the way.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not possible my dude. A 11.1v pack must be charged by a matching 11.1v li-ion smart charger.

Hey

I'm new at modding... Excuse me... But.. There's another way to charge the ps2 like a psp with a 2.1mm port and that? I don't even know what is a smart charger. And can i buy a charger like the psp and vita? Because the cells are in the bottom of the console and it a bit stressful to take it, disconnect them, and then charge it. I hope i explained me right.

A smart charger is a charger that can sense when the batteries are starting to get full and slowly lowers the current until the battery is full. At that point, the current stops completely so the battery does not blow up.

You cannot use a 12 volt charger to charge your 11.1 volt battery setup. That is how batteries start on fire. Also, you need to have a protection circuit to keep your batteries safe. Here is a link to a page where you can buy 11.1 volt smart battery chargers. This website is known to be very credible and the chargers you buy from here, if used right, will not blow up your batteries. If you choose to buy on Ebay, there is a risk that a cheap Chinese charger will not work. https://www.batteryspace.com/Smart-Chargers-for-Li-Ion-/-LiMnNi-/-LiNiCoMn-Batteries.aspx
Just look under the section that says 11.1 volts.

This is the kind of protection circuit you are looking for. You need a 3S (stands for 3 3.7 volt batteries in series) 11.1 volt protection board. Here is a link to an example. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protection...J0AAOSw~AVYtIZz:sc:USPSFirstClass!48382!US!-1

Thanks, i will use a BMS with 3 cells (3,7v 18650).

I don't have enought money to buy the charger, cause' the shipping thing and everything... I don't know what to do...

You are using these batteries to power a PS2 correct? A PS2 will do fine with 7.4 volts. You only have to do a 2S setup instead of a 3S setup. If you were to do a 2S setup, you could just use this board. It can handle any power supply within the voltage range. It does not need a "smart" charger. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...2S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212 It is also much cheaper. The only thing is it takes a long time to charge your batteries.

Thanks, and a another question... What is the minimum voltage that a PS2 can work without being fried? If not, what is the minimum acceptable voltage to use a PS2 SCPH-90010? Thanks you very much. All of you.

Last edited:
That would work, but you would still need a smart charger. Have you looked at the board I gave you a link to? That handles charging and protection in one. You would not need a smart charger with the red board. You could use any voltage supply that is within the voltage range.

These are the characteristics of the BMS of my local e-shop. Short circuit protection Protection against overload Overload protection Overcurrent protection Input voltage: 7.4 to 8.4V Overload protection range per cell: 4.25V to 4.35V +/- 0.05V Range of protection against over discharge per cell: Typical: 2.30V to 3.0V +/- 0.05V Maximum working current (3A) Overcurrent protection: 5A Dimensions: 36 x 6 x 1 mm.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
These are the characteristics of the BMS of my local e-shop. Short circuit protection Protection against overload Overload protection Overcurrent protection Input voltage: 7.4 to 8.4V Overload protection range per cell: 4.25V to 4.35V +/- 0.05V Range of protection against over discharge per cell: Typical: 2.30V to 3.0V +/- 0.05V Maximum working current (3A) Overcurrent protection: 5A Dimensions: 36 x 6 x 1 mm.
That's fine, just pair it with a 8.4v smart charger or you'll have a fire on your hands.

As for charging without having to disconnect the batteries, you can use the trusty old Charge or Play system of yore:
charge or play.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you give me a link with that switch model please?
Don't have one, but if you search for SP3T (single pole triple throw) switches on Ebay/Digikey/Mouser/AliExpress you'll find some.