Budget Laser Cutters

Luke

Portables
Is it just me or is this a pretty decent little laser cutter that can do pretty much anything we need, for a CRAZY good price?
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html

I haven't researched much on laser cutters, but it looks pretty legit, and there's a 61% sale that's going on for the next ~24 hours... I'm really having to restrain myself from an impulse buy.

What do you guys think? Worth it?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It's 2500mW, you could use it to engrave patterns into wood, but you won't be able to cuto through plastic (maybe very thin sheets, like plastic bags)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
That one isnt going to be useful for cutting.

The laser I was using was 50 watt. At 100% power and 10% speed (lower speed=laser applied for longer=deeper cut) and it took me close to 10 passes to cut through 2.5mm abs. You can't cut most plastics with a laser cutter. For example, ABS releases cyanide gas when lasered which needs a sealed ventilation system to run without.. you know... killing you. Polycarbonate is worse because it releases chlorine gas, which not only destroys parts in the laser, but is dangerous enough to kill you as well.

Laser cutters are my favorite tool I have access to, but good ones cost thousands of dollars, and bad ones aren't useful.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you dropped a super strong laser on there it would be perfect. Although, that laser may end up costing more than the rest of the machine

EDIT: You could probably also just drop a nice laser onto a 3d printer, and have it "print" along one particular height, and connect the extrude signal to the laser on/off.