Question Broken 3DS

John

So I bought a broken 3DS for $20 and it pops and then shuts off. I did research and figured it was the camera or speaker. So I bought both and put them in my the 3ds, but I still get the same problem. Any Ideas?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I don't think this is the right place to ask. This forum is more about modding and breaking things rather than fixing them. Someone might know, but I would look elsewhere too.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
With the 3DS you need all components plugged in and working, this also includes the wifi receiver which is fed though the hinge the same as the LCD ribbon and speakers. If it is damaged the console won't power on.

I had to replace both the speakers and wifi receiver for a friend when her original 3DS went out after being dropped

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
So I bought a broken 3DS for $20 and it pops and then shuts off. I did research and figured it was the camera or speaker. So I bought both and put them in my the 3ds, but I still get the same problem. Any Ideas?
I had one that did something similar. The screen lit up black, it made a weird short noise, then turned off.

In my case, completely disassembling and reassembling the 3ds fixed it permanently. I'm 90% sure it was a loose ribbon cable or connection somewhere. You should try taking it apart (Make sure there isn't any apparent water damage), cleaning it, and putting it back together. Pay extra attention to the ribbon cable for the screen. I think that's the most likely culprit for my issue.

On a separate note, if you plug it in, does it charge okay? If it won't charge it could be as simple as a blown fuse which is a 10 minute fix for a ds lite (don't know about 3ds)

John

With the 3DS you need all components plugged in and working, this also includes the wifi receiver which is fed though the hinge the same as the LCD ribbon and speakers. If it is damaged the console won't power on.

I had to replace both the speakers and wifi receiver for a friend when her original 3DS went out after being dropped
I bought the wifi chip and antenna on Amazon so Hopefully that's the problem.

John

I had one that did something similar. The screen lit up black, it made a weird short noise, then turned off.

In my case, completely disassembling and reassembling the 3ds fixed it permanently. I'm 90% sure it was a loose ribbon cable or connection somewhere. You should try taking it apart (Make sure there isn't any apparent water damage), cleaning it, and putting it back together. Pay extra attention to the ribbon cable for the screen. I think that's the most likely culprit for my issue.

On a separate note, if you plug it in, does it charge okay? If it won't charge it could be as simple as a blown fuse which is a 10 minute fix for a ds lite (don't know about 3ds)
I will try doing that again. Yes, it charges ok the light comes on.

The problem is the screen. The way the backlight circuit is made, it can blow out if you attempt to turn it on without a load, so the PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit) checks for a resistance across the backlight circuit, and if there is none, turns off. It's a common issue, likely just the top screen ribbon not properly connected. WiFi can be disconnected and still have it boot.

John

The problem is the screen. The way the backlight circuit is made, it can blow out if you attempt to turn it on without a load, so the PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit) checks for a resistance across the backlight circuit, and if there is none, turns off. It's a common issue, likely just the top screen ribbon not properly connected. WiFi can be disconnected and still have it boot.
Thanks for the advice. But it was actually a broken trace from water damage, fixed it a couple weeks ago.