Worklog Booshman's N64 portable

Maybe a bad amp? Or maybe a ground loop. Apparently a ground loop will do that kind of situation but everything I’ve read about it is discussed as AC purposes, not DC. I hope you can figure it out

I have tried a new amp with the original headphone jack still in place and not extended off the board like the final one I plan to use and the same issue.

I decided to have a try with the amp powered from another source and disconnecting the controller after I got into a game, so the only connections to the mobo were the screen and everdrive. Still got noise but even more strangely the audio had another issue, the balance of dialogue and music was well out of whack. In menu for Mario the "It's me Mario" and "Press start to play" are barely audible though the music is still in stereo. I'm powering the amp from a usb on my pc reading the exact same voltage as I was getting of the N64, very strange indeed, the fault finding continues.

Edit: just tried the PAM amp from the BOM, same audio issue there too.

Last edited:
Still haven't been able to get this working how I would like, not only can I not fix it but I can't even seem to improve it I'm stumped. Looks like I need to go the digital audio route which hopefully sorts it. This leaves me with an issue though, the volume rocker for the audio amp I have was going to be a wheel, since I can't use this with the digital amp and I have a slot for the volume control in my case already I'm left with what to do with that slot without any modification to the case.

I think a volume rocker could work given the small space there is to work with, I've done a quick sketch to envision how things could work. I'll have to make the rocker in fusion360 and print it, the rest can be done with pvc sheet and rod.

I was also wondering if it's possible to get me screen running off 5v. I saw a post that the KYV-N2 V6 can be modded, is is possible for a V1?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
For the rocker:
Why not extrude the pivot down from the middle of the rocker itself to reduce the number of parts, or you could actually do away with the concept of the rocker entirely as pressing down on a tight-fit button like that will apply force to the tact switches at either end without needing a rocker setup.

jtryba

i do notice what looks like a voltage regulator on the pcb (red), but i cant read what type it is..

pcb.png

it also appears to have a buck converter setup to the left of that? (yellow)
its pretty hard to tell from this image, but i would start probing around those areas.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The 8 legged IC circled in yellow will have one leg that outputs ~5v. If you find which leg, you can remove the IC and supply 5v straight to that pad.

i do notice what looks like a voltage regulator on the pcb (red), but i cant read what type it is..

it also appears to have a buck converter setup to the left of that? (yellow)
its pretty hard to tell from this image, but i would start probing around those areas.
Thanks for the input.

The 8 legged IC circled in yellow will have one leg that outputs ~5v. If you find which leg, you can remove the IC and supply 5v straight to that pad.
I did get to this point before taking a break and I supplied 5v to the leg but didn't remove the IC, no wonder it didn't work.

Awesome casework! I do not have the patience to sand that much. GG
Cheers.