Worklog Booshman's N64 portable

Discussion in 'Nintendo 64' started by Booshman, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    You can get away with sinks with no fan, but it's better to have some airflow.

2. Booshman .

I'll just make some holes then I suppose.

3. Booshman .

Some more progress:

[​IMG]

And a test fit. To my surprise, after I took this pic, I put in everything and ran the bundles of wires out the holes at the bottom, and everything fit when I put the front on with the screen in it.

[​IMG]

I'm a bit confused though. With my wiring I'm getting 3.55-3.59 from each cel, and if I measure between + and - on the red board I get 7.13. However when I measure at Vout on the red board I get 4.69 only.

I've also been looking at the detector switches I bought, with the intent of redirecting the data line for controller 1 when docked, and I don't think they'll work. Looking at the circuit I believe it would be the equivalent of conrtoller 1 linked to the portable when undocked, and both the portable and the breakout box connected to controller 1 simultaniously when docked. Is that correct?

[​IMG]

I think this might be what I'm after:

[​IMG]

E64, MRKane and Stitches like this.
  4. MRKane .

Ok, I'm not a good communicator and am forever worried that I sound like I'm talking down to someone, but I've been here and this was my issue: I hadn't wired the batteries up in pairs to the correct terminals. Here's a helpful diagram on how to wire up four batteries:[​IMG]

Stitches likes this.
  5. Booshman .

OK some good news. I checked it and quadruple checked it, and i wired it up right. I took a reading from the red board, one battery in its holder at a time. The second one along from the left was giving a reading of less than two, so I added more solder to the connections there and to the ones on the red board, and now I have 7.14 at the Vout on the red board.

I still need to get my detector switches sorted, ut I can't order anything for a few days until the sellers get back from Chinese new year.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    MRKane likes this.