Solved Bluetooth troubleshoot

Portables
1/2
So I recently started on a Wii portable, I did a U10 relocation, and it was successful, tried to do Bluetooth and got it all hooked up to the best of my knowledge tested all connections and voltages three times. But I still can't get it to work, can someone help me with this please. The Wii boots up into PortablizeMii just fine and plays GameCube games, but it won't play Wii games and I can't sync controllers. It did work before I tried relocating the Bluetooth.

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
So I recently started on a Wii portable, I did a U10 relocation, and it was successful, tried to do Bluetooth and got it all hooked up to the best of my knowledge tested all connections and voltages three times. But I still can't get it to work, can someone help me with this please. The Wii boots up into PortablizeMii just fine and plays GameCube games, but it won't play Wii games and I can't sync controllers. It did work before I tried relocating the Bluetooth.
Do the following:
- Check continuity from the Bluetooth module to the capacitors near the BT connector to ensure soldering to the traces was successful
- Check that the BT lines aren't shorted to ground or each other
- Check that all 3 necessary pads are receiving 3.3v and that the the module is receiving gnd
- Also note that the sync switch requires it to be connected to 3.3v to activate, not gnd.

Portables
1/2
I did all of that, the data lines aren't shorted to each other or ground and they both have continuity with the resistors that they're supposed to, all all three pins are getting power and the switch is from the sync to the 3.3. The only thing that I think is a little strange is I have it grounded to the battery that's powering the 3.3 and it's grounded to the Wii motherboard would that make a difference? Edit well now I feel stupid I check the one data line and it is grounded... Will update when I fix it...:facepalm: edit well I fixed the grounding, everything checks out as far as I can tell but it still doesn't work....

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Where are you wiring 3.3v from? It would be best if you wired it to one of the nearby 3.3v lines on the motherboard. You also only need one ground line for the BT module.

Portables
1/2
I was powering it from a custom regulator a pololu to be exact. I didn't even think of getting the power from the board. But know that i did it still doesn't work, do you think I fried my Bluetooth module? Or worse the the Bluetooth side of my Wii? Do Bluetooth modules go bad if you power them without the Wii being powered? Has anyone had an experience of a Bluetooth module going bad?

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I'd try shortening your wires too. Dunno if that would change anything but it would make it easier to see what's going on.

Portables
1/2
Okay I guess I could try, which ones would you be more concerned about the data line or the power lines? The reason I had them so long was because I didn't know where I was going to have them in my case...

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I'd start with the power lines. Your data ones look fine.

Portables
1/2
It did measure at 3.35 volts on the module, when I was running power from that little orange module. I'm not sure what you mean about post loader, I'm not really Savvy on that stuff, it boots into portable eyes me just fine, before when you played a Wii game it gave you a loading screen then the screen went black then then another loading screen and then the game loaded. Now you just get the first loading screen and then black.

Portables
1/2
Okay so I got a new Bluetooth module and tried it and it still didn't work so maybe my motherboard is bad, I might try just getting a new Wii, and starting over...:'( edit so a little bit more on what it was doing, so the new Bluetooth module that I got worked on other wiis so it should have worked on mine... The old one that I had been trying there was something definitely wrong with it, I just Disodered it and tried plugging it onto the port directly and then it wouldn't even light up with power plugged in, unplugged the light came on. (The red led) so I guess I fried my old Bluetooth module...and maybe fried the Bluetooth on my Wii...is that even possible?

Last edited:
Portables
1/2
Okay so I'm a little discouraged now:'(, I had gotten three more wiis on eBay, two were four layers and one six, the six layer had been softmodded it had usb loader gx and homebrew already on it, one of the four layers had a custom theme on it, but I couldn't get cheese installer to work on it, it worked about halfway through the installation then gave an error and stopped when I tried to run it again it gave the error that it couldn't find the no wifi wads. I read somewhere that you can use multi mod maniger to manually install the wads, but I tried and it just gave a error, then I tried patching iOS 36 and that also gave a error...anyone know what I'm doing wrong?:( PS both the 4 layer acted the exact same, so I guess they were both softmodded...

Attachments