Question Bluetooth N64 Controller

So since the switch came out I've dreamed about having an N64 controller with full bluetooth capabilities to play on the switch.
That being said, I have absolutely no experience with modding at all.

After perusing a few threads on here I have three ideas of how to possibly go about this.

1. Solder the original N64 controller board in into an 8bitdo Gbros adapter.

2. Gut a third party controller and try to stuff the circuitry inside an N64 controller shell.

3. Use a raspberry pi?

Again, I have no experience with this, and I think option one looks the easiest, but I am wondering what you all think?

I've looked into it. From what I can tell they are long out of production, and not receiving firmware updates. The only listing I found was for $300. Though I'm sure modding isn't going to be cheap either.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I've looked into it. From what I can tell they are long out of production, and not receiving firmware updates. The only listing I found was for $300. Though I'm sure modding isn't going to be cheap either.
If that's the case you could probably hack together a 64 controller using something the 8bitdo SN30 pro controller. The tricky part will be the joysticks as the N64 joysticks works quite differently. You'd also need a way in software to remap the second joystick to the C buttons or something similar.

Ya I've been looking at the sn30 pro as a viable option. The boards are similar in size.
I also might compromise original design for full functionality. I just thought about the possibility of replacing the right c button with a laptop nub and the joystick with a more modern clicking joystick. That would give me the same number of buttons as a modern controller (making slight shell mods for the plus minus and capture buttons)

With a BlueCube and GC+ you could wire both up inside an official N64 controller.

Though, I would recommend the 8bitdo Bluetooth N64 controller if you can find one second hand - if you widen the memory pack screws just a little bit with a drill you can put the PCB inside an official N64 controller for the most authentic feel.

Personally I'm desperate for a N64 or gamecube bluetooth receiver.

Portables
(have two in production behind the scenes)
Well that in a portable would be barbaric (espically in the vicinity of other Bluetooth related things near it, like the exact same receiver for instance haha) :P

With a BlueCube and GC+ you could wire both up inside an official N64 controller.
Oo. I didn't know about the gc+ that would be a good option for converting n64>gcn>bluetooth. I'm thinking the gbros would be easier to manage than the bluecube since it has native battery support? But it would be nice to convert that over to rechargeable.

There are a dozen ways you could do it. hell, you could just hack in an official switch pro controller. Your creativity is the key ingredient.

So is button mapping really as simple as connecting the right buttons to the right solder points?

Back from vacation and I've got my hands on a soldering iron and some solder, so I'm ready to jump back into this thing.
I've decided to go the SN30Pro route and try to stuff that PCB inside the shell of an original N64 controller. That way there will be native battery and blue tooth support, and honestly sounds easier for a first project. I'm looking at ordering that controller now, and I also need to get the other supplies for de-soldering, wiring, and shielding. I also expect I'll have to learn some 3d modeling to fit the modern joysticks into the controller snugly.
Does anyone have a good scan of an n64 controller shell?

I did my first cutting into the 64 controller shell today. I'm going to replace the bottom c button with a joycon stick. I need to find out if I can calibrate a control stick at a wonky angle or if I need to mount it squared up.

For remapping button inputs, would I use 30 gage wrapping wire or 34 magnet wire?

Attachments