Question Black scratchy screen

Ewhizz

Hey guys just did a u10 (used the u9 as I broke the u10 chip) relocation and trying to test the Wii but get a black scratvsc screen? Any ideas? Thanks

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If you removed the U9, short the 2 pins where the U9 used to be that aren't ground pins. The Wii won't boot without a U9 there or without them being shorted

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Did you destroy the trace like the guide said? Make sure the wire is properly soldered to the via, and the enameled wire is properly stripped so the solder has a solid connection.

Ewhizz

Yeah I attempted all of these. Is there anything I can test?

BocuD

Portables
Test continuity between the original u10 pin (if you havent trimmed yet) and that same pin on relocated u10. (So u9)

Ewhizz

I didn't get continuity on any of the ground pins. I got continuity on one of the two pins but the other I was unable to test as the terminal was destroyed on the original u10.
Thanks

Fixed it. re-did the three u9 pins to ground and it fixed it thanks guys!

Last edited:

Ewhizz

I accidentally dropped a blob of solder and lost the component c101 (see photo) when I plug the Wii in the power LED doesn't light up. Have I stuffed my Wii?

Thanks

BocuD

Portables
I accidentally dropped a blob of solder and lost the component c101 (see photo) when I plug the Wii in the power LED doesn't light up. Have I stuffed my Wii?

Thanks
Looks to me like its either mx or og regs related. Since you are trimming the wii (or at least thats what i expect after you did u10) this won’t matter, as all these components will either be replaced in software or with the custom regs.

Ewhizz

Yeah I'm just hoping I didn't wreck it by trying to power it with this big blob of solder shorting the c101 and nearby components

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That would be one of the caps for the MX clock. If you just short pins 2 and 17 on the MX the wii will turn on as soon as you power it. Pin 1 is marked by the dot on the chip, and it goes around counter clockwise.

Ewhizz

Yep it booted! Bluetooth mod successful. Having trouble getting new Wii motes to sync. Have a tactile switch wired between pin 12 and 3.3v. Is there something Im missing?

Last edited: