Review BitBuilt's Reprogrammable GameBoy Development Cartridge

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I wrote reviews for the 2MB cart and programmer in the store, but I guess the webmaster hasn't gotten around to approving them. *ahem*

I realized too many people want something that multiloads more than something as great as these
I'll add here what I couldn't in my review because there's no 1000-character limit here: multiloading carts are just game libraries, which is great if you want to carry a couple hundred games around with you. But there comes a point where you might as well just play them on your phone, or get a pocket computer or make a Retropie portable or...

These carts are great because once you flash a ROM to the cart, it becomes that game. All of a sudden you get full compatibility with all your Game Boy peripherals including Game Shark, N64 transfer pak, you name it. If I tried using my Action Replay on my GBA flash cart, I'd probably fry the cart, erase the SD card inside it, or both.

Noah

retired
Portables
I saw it pop up on my subs today, and I did I spittake at work.

Reading through the comments, I realized too many people want something that multiloads more than something as great as these, I.e. the Everdrive or Else Cheapo carts.
Yeah multiload carts are for some reason desired more than something like this. I asked someone if the ever drive had RTC and the ability to use the transfer pak and they said "you can use game patches and set the time when you boot into the game and you can mod the cartridge to work with the transfer pak."

If I payed $100 to Krikzz (which I never would ayy lmao) then I shouldn't have to mod the cartridge to get basic functionality that any random GameBoy game has. That to me is ridiculous.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Yeah multiload carts are for some reason desired more than something like this. I asked someone if the ever drive had RTC and the ability to use the transfer pak and they said "you can use game patches and set the time when you boot into the game and you can mod the cartridge to work with the transfer pak."

If I payed $100 to Krikzz (which I never would ayy lmao) then I shouldn't have to mod the cartridge to get basic functionality that any random GameBoy game has. That to me is ridiculous.
That's too much work to me honestly.

I'll stick with something like yours where it'll work right off the bat, instead of crazy patching and modding.

Nice review and spot on. Definitely not meme material as his carts didn't have my Dank custom label. Can't wait for mine.... the hype seems real!

Last edited:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
@Matando you did the labels for those carts? Or did you do a custom Matando exclusive that the rest of us will never see?

And oh yes, the hype IS real. The only reason I'm not enjoying some overclocked Pokemon Prism memeage as we speak is because I promised myself I'd finish Sun and Moon first.

@Matando you did the labels for those carts? Or did you do a custom Matando exclusive that the rest of us will never see?

And oh yes, the hype IS real. The only reason I'm not enjoying some overclocked Pokemon Prism memeage as we speak is because I promised myself I'd finish Sun and Moon first.
I made a custom label. I did not make the labels for those carts. Sun and Moon aren't bad, I think I'm just slowly losing my enthusiasm for the new games as I get older. I'm going to compile the latest git revision of Polished crystal as soon as mine arrive. I can't wait!

Herma

How many times can the flash be written to before the flash is no longer viable? Most modern flash chips can easily do >100k per sector (I'm pretty familiar with the M25PXX series, which do just that), so it's probably not an issue, just a curiosity.

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm using the dated AM29F series but the datasheet says:

Minimum 1,000,000 program/erase cycles per
sector guaranteed

So not too shabby

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
People responded to my comments telling me not to waste my money, and to buy an Everdrive instead.

Separate note, we need a BitBuilt GB game to ship on the carts natively :D

Full of Wii memes and portablizing references

Noah

retired
Portables
People responded to my comments telling me not to waste my money, and to buy an Everdrive instead.

Separate note, we need a BitBuilt GB game to ship on the carts natively :D

Full of Wii memes and portablizing references
Sure just let me delay shipping by 4 months Kappa

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
oh yeah, CUSTOM LABELS, post them here.

SS PIIG EDITION:
  • 8-bit Triggered SS
  • DotA2 font