BitBuilt's 2021 Summer Building Competition

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
BB Summer comp 2021.png

2021 has been a wild ride for everyone in many ways and things have been no different for BitBuilt. Projects have continued to define what we call the cutting edge, we've gained many new members to the scene, the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide was released 5 years ago as of April, and the forums even went a change of ownership. Despite all of this the forums are carrying on the tradition of holding the 6th Summer building competition! Experienced and first time modders alike are welcomed to enter their projects and show the skills they've developed.

Information

The 2021 Summer Building Competition officially begins June 1st and ends October 1st. Projects started in the month of May will be allowed as entries. After concluding the community will vote and results will be revealed shortly after.

BB 2021 Dates.png

Keeping with last year's rules there will again be three categories that each user will vote for. Each category counts as one vote, meaning if someone voted for the same entry in all three categories, that entry would gain 3 votes overall.

Case Design/Aesthetic - Pouring hours and hours into designing and producing a case deserves praise.

Internals - We've all seen portables that look as pretty inside as they do on the outside. Electing to make your internals clean will gain you some votes and cred among the community.

Features and Functionality - Despite the fact that some projects are mods of consoles over a decade old, it doesn't mean they shouldn't have modern amenities. Managing to sneak in extra features, more functionality (original or not), and whatever else you can come up with makes for an awesome result.
Rules

Our goal each year is to make the contest as fair as possible for everyone participating and we hope that these rules will help us achieve that goal. By reading through the list of contest rules found below, you’re helping to ensure that the contest will be a wonderful experience for everyone involved.

1. All work must be done by you and only you. Commissions involving your contest project are not allowed at any point throughout the duration of the contest while you remain a participant. This includes board trimming, PCB design, case design, wiring of any kind, etc. If you are unsure of what this includes, please ask before going ahead with it to prevent you from being disqualified.

2. A worklog with pictures must be made on the forums. A piece of paper or index card must also be visible in photographs with “BitBuilt 2021 Summer Building Competition” (or contest) and your username displayed on it.

3. At the end of the contest, a video of your project is required and must be submitted along with your final contest submission. This video must include a demo of all aspects of the project along with the features listed in your submission as to prove their functionality. Any project found lacking video proof of any features will not have those features listed alongside their project during voting in order to keep things fair.

4. Your entry must not be an entry from previous years completed or otherwise. It must have been started in or after May of 2021.

A tip of advice: Remember your peers will be voting for you. Making a clean work log and or a spending time on your entry video may prove beneficial in portraying your submission to voters!
By registering for the contest, you’re letting us know that you agree to the rules stated above. Breaking the rules (namely the first first one) are at risk of being disqualified from the contest and banned from BitBuilt events and or services. Any necessary punishment is to be decided by BitBuilt staff and is final. When in doubt about anything, reach out to myself, Cheese, or a staff member on the forums or the Discord and we will advise you or direct you to someone who can aid you.

Registration

In order to register, you must first log in, then go to your account dropdown menu, and click “Account Upgrades”.

NOTE: If you've purchased something from the store within the last month or plan to purchase parts for the contest, this fee will be waved! Please PM @cheese with your order number in order to receive the banner and entry!

After that, you can click “Purchase” under the Available Upgrades section and pay the $2 entry fee. Once you have paid the fee, you will automatically be given a banner to denote that you are a contestant in the Competition!

Once you are ready make your worklog under the 2021 Summer Contest subforum.

Make sure to pay attention to the stickies here on the forums as well as the Discord Channel. Any and all new information, such as the prizes, will be announced in those places respectively.

Good luck to all!

---

Update: Voting is open!

Vote before 12:00 AM Oct 8 US Eastern Time.

Last edited:
Am I allowed to do 2 entries for the contest? Was unsure bc wanted to make ps4 portable and ps2

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Not kidding I’m serious the ps4 board is pretty small but wide, so it will be a pretty big one but still a portable, I’m going to use 8 18650 batteries to get at least a little bit of play time out of the thing, stack the batteries on top of the board, and have another layer for the controller and screen, and anyway I’m just trying to be creative here

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Friend, you don't have to apologize, the truth seems that @Aurelio doesn't like anyone giving his opinion about programs and updates that are not positive, not all of us have to have the same opinion as him, each of us have different opinions and I think They have to respect each other, nobody speaks badly when giving an opinion, the truth is, I prefer not to give an opinion at all because I realize that if you don't think the same as he is, you're wrong, so it's better not to give an opinion on the truth.
Not kidding I’m serious the ps4 board is pretty small but wide, so it will be a pretty big one but still a portable, I’m going to use 8 18650 batteries to get at least a little bit of play time out of the thing, stack the batteries on top of the board, and have another layer for the controller and screen, and anyway I’m just trying to be creative here
While I agree that we shouldn't just dismiss new ideas in the community just because it hasn't been done before, creating a PS4 portable is very difficult to do given current battery technologies. Even if you use 8 x 18650s, that's only going to give you 100Wh. The PS4 draws anywhere between 90 and 150W of power/hour depending on load, so that's not even going to give you an hour of gameplay, not taking into consideration other peripherals you need for a portable too. With 8 18650s, the thing is going to weigh a metric shit tonne. If you can do it though, please go ahead!

A PS2 portable however, would be well achievable with current tech and be a great entry to the contest.