BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hi there! I’m a long time lurker in the console modding scene and now I’m finally making the leap into my first portable Wii! I’m currently getting a degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering, so I have some electronics background and experience. However, I’m not even close to knowing everything and I thought this would be a great way to learn more and use what I have learned!

Heyyo, Here to ask a few questions about my ashida build. Everythings pretty much delivered and anxious to start work on it.

Hey there! Long time fan/lurker of portablized consoles, so I finally decided to make an account here. I've wanted to make one for many years, but from how intimidating it seemed, I figured maybe I'll try it later on if I develop enough skills to feel competent enough to attempt something this complex.

I've got a background in speedrunning games, and since I eventually got a supergun for speedrunning certain arcade games, I figured it would make sense to get a soldering iron and develop some skills to be able to maintain that setup (as well as be able to build custom harnesses for some games that support 3p/4p buttons). I was intimidated by it at first, so I thought "maybe I'll get better at this later" and put it off for a while.

Eventually I submitted a run to Games Done Quick where I would attempt to speedrun an NES game and a SNES game at the same time with a single controller that goes through an adapter that splits the inputs to both consoles. My friend Omnigamer made this adapter, but one of the signal wires ended up coming undone from the microcontroller's pad, so I needed to attempt repairing it. Needless to say, it didn't go well when I attempted putting it back on due to a lack of fundamentals (especially no understanding of flux or oxidation yet). Omni ended up having to resolve the issue for me, which felt a bit bad, which was just enough to motivate me to actually learn how to solder correctly.

I decided to start making padhack adapters for my supergun stick to be usable on other consoles like NES/SNES/Genesis/Switch/etc. These are extremely simple to understand, since you're just directly soldering wires from a DB15 connector, to each button on the controller PCB, and since 3rd party aftermarket controllers are still manufactured and extremely cheap, yet usually undesirable for actually using for their intended way due to poor plastics and build quality, makes them a perfect fit for this. This was also great from a motivational standpoint, since at the end of each project, I got a tangible reward that I would actually want to use frequently!

Recently I started swapping my recording setup to support RGB from my game consoles, but trying to maximize video quality quickly becomes expensive when it comes to commissioning others to mod some consoles to support RGB, so I started recapping my older consoles and installing RGB mods on them myself instead. During this process, I ended up getting way better at soldering to vias, surface mount soldering to populate small boards, and desoldering to the point where I'm actually reasonably confident at it now. It's also been great practice in troubleshooting when mods don't go according to plan the first time.

Circling back to why I'm here, with the advent of consumer accessible 3d printers, accessible DIY circuit boards, and a wealth of information about the process, I finally feel like I have a chance at succeeding in building one of these. I have my eyes on the Ashida, since its case design is ingenious, not to mention parts for it are relatively available for it, and it appears to be the most beginner friendly, while still yielding a massive reward of portable Wii/Gamecube/VC at full speed/compatbility.

I'm still slowly gathering parts for it, but hopefully I can start a worklog of a build at some point in the next couple of months hopefully!

Hi everyone, I'm Kasekuchen (=German for cheesecake) from Germany. Im new in the Retro handheld community and i have the plan to build may owen emulation handheld console who loks like a strecht gamecube controler like the gamecube Askii keyboard, but no so long. to play Retro console or PC games and make simple PC thinks like hear music or write a noteize.
I regestrait her then it is a nice and helpfull comunity to learn a lot about handhelts.
lets make the journey begin!

Last edited:

Zini

Portables
some day
sup
i made this account like last year and just forgot about it
but im totally gonna follow through and build an ashida now i swear

Hello! I made this account years ago, was always lurking around and interested in making my own portable builds. My skill-set has improved since and I would like to begin a project sometime soon. Hope to contribute in the future as I learn more!

P.S. If a moderator could help me out, my account is unable to create any threads in any forum due to insufficient privileges. Thanks for having me.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello! I made this account years ago, was always lurking around and interested in making my own portable builds. My skill-set has improved since and I would like to begin a project sometime soon. Hope to contribute in the future as I learn more!

P.S. If a moderator could help me out, my account is unable to create any threads in any forum due to insufficient privileges. Thanks for having me.
You get thread creation privileges a couple of hours after making your first couple of posts. Keeps the bots away, mostly

I thought it was related to my account being inactive ever since creation. That is understandable, appreciate the quick reply, thank you!

Hey Guys new to the portable scene was wondering if anyone knows how to use the rvl-amp in an ashida build instead of an u-amp 2

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey Guys new to the portable scene was wondering if anyone knows how to use the rvl-amp in an ashida build instead of an u-amp 2
From my understanding it's basically a drop in replacement for the Ashida. All you need to do is run a wire from the Ashida board's V- pad (third from the top on the right) to the PMS ADC pin marked in figure 4 of the RVL-AMP documents section. You'll also need to update your PMS to the latest firmware to allow it to pass the volume instructions on.