BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hello, My name is Fuzzball. I am very new to modding (so new I havent purchased the supplies yet, but I am doing research so I can learn to do the process correctly and safely) Thank you for letting me join your forums. I am hoping to learn a lot ^^

Howdy everyone,

Already purchased the G-Boy kit and researching all I can before it gets here. Never built a portable or even held a soldering iron before but I’m ready to learn

ratch

Hello! I'm a PC Tech and Builder that's always had a passing interest in Electronics. I used to possess a J-STD soldering Cert.

Recently I went on a binge looking for a way to fix my GTX 980 ti that was gifted to me. Due to incompetence, not mine, in shipping it was rendered non-functioning. I knew about baking and really didn't want to do that. I know it's VERY sketchy and has a low chance of success. The deeper I delved I discovered Reballing, the process of removing the BGA chip, cleaning the solder up and resoldering it to the board. Yes I know it's more involved, just summarizing to keep the post short. This has lead me back to Electronics and contract work for repairs. I'm competent and know how to search for most things. I joined here in Hopes of help with some troublesome repairs. And eventually some information on Reballing.

Hello everyone. My name is gman (not to be confused with pro poritblizer Gman). Hopefully as a beginner I can begin with small and easy projects and in the future move on up to a poject such as a shankmods Gboy :awesome:

Hey everyone!
I'm new to modding but I'm looking in to it and I'm really intrested so far.
I'm really looking forward to making my first mod!

Hi all! New to the scene here, but I'm friends with robertlong13 and he's officially nerd sniped me to build my own mod.

Last edited:
greetings everyone! I have a wii that I soft modded years ago. I saw the gboy DIY kit and now I want to build some version of a portable wii. Someone point me in the right direction! 0 experience but learning already, I want to know where to get a case, screen, etc. I have access to a 3D printer but no clue how to use it or design a case. Thanks!!

Hello! I have been searching through these forums for a very long time and finally feel I am ready to build my own Wii portable. I have never held a soldering iron but I will learn.

Batgra

Hi All,
Just created an account. I am very new to all this, but have been super interested in it all for a while. I recently saw Shank's YouTube video over-viewing the G-Boy and thought i'd head over and see what this community is all about.

• I have never picked up a soldering iron before; thinking about picking up this: Hakko FX888D-23BY. Other tool/supplies suggestions appreciated.
  • As a young boy/man I was an avid gamer and love the idea of taking an old console and giving it some life; i have a Super NES, OG xbox & a Wii in a closet - the interest is there.
  • I am not disillusioned. I expect it'll be a good year of continued practice, research, interest, etc. before i attempt creating a portable (probably with varying success).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get started, or beginner friendly projects - I'd love to hear them. The G-Boy project feels like a good start... but maybe after a bit more confidence has been gained.

Also, a question that's been nagging me... for those that dont have access to a 3D printer - what do you do? How do you get the custom cases?

Thanks!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Hi All,
Just created an account. I am very new to all this, but have been super interested in it all for a while. I recently saw Shank's YouTube video over-viewing the G-Boy and thought i'd head over and see what this community is all about.

• I have never picked up a soldering iron before; thinking about picking up this: Hakko FX888D-23BY. Other tool/supplies suggestions appreciated.
  • As a young boy/man I was an avid gamer and love the idea of taking an old console and giving it some life; i have a Super NES, OG xbox & a Wii in a closet - the interest is there.
  • I am not disillusioned. I expect it'll be a good year of continued practice, research, interest, etc. before i attempt creating a portable (probably with varying success).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get started, or beginner friendly projects - I'd love to hear them. The G-Boy project feels like a good start... but maybe after a bit more confidence has been gained.

Also, a question that's been nagging me... for those that dont have access to a 3D printer - what do you do? How do you get the custom cases?

Thanks!
Welcome!

That iron you've picked out is a great one. For more recommendations on tools and such, there are some links in the G-Boy guides, as well as a dedicated list of various quality materials here.

As far as beginner projects go, the G-Boy is a pretty good one. A couple of people new to soldering and portables have already pulled off successful assemblies. It's certainly not the easiest beginner project in the world, but if you're determined and willing to practice it can definitely be a first project.

As far as 3D printers go, several people here have 3D printers and will print cases or other parts you might need at reasonable costs. If you need something printed, you can make a thread in the Buying subforum and people can reach out to you then.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hello all, new to the portables scene but after watching Gingerofmods' Louii video on youtube, I decided I wanted to make my very own portable, and I suppose I should make an account so I can ask the extensive amount of questions I'm sure to have down the line.

deezy

Hi everyone, I'm deezy. Been interested in making a Wii portable for a long time, finally decided to start buying parts and tools now that I'm stuck at home. I'm an EE, but I work mainly with RF stuff. Haven't touched power/digital since college, so I have a lot to refresh on. Will hopefully start a worklog soon, once I get my case design to a presentable spot.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member