BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hello everyone! New here, I am going to give a shot at hardware hacking but I first have so much more to learn. Currently messing around with a Wii mini and a Pi 4.

Hey guys! Thrilled to be here , i was hoping to enter the 2020 contest with a semi-modular wii but that ship has sailed, allready have a modular n64 in my collection , a gameboy zero and a new layout portable built on a pi 3A+ ,hope we'll do many great portables together!

Hello everyone! I'm looking forward to learning from you all, and completing my first portable! Thank you all for helping me learn new things as I follow this portablizing path. <3

Portables
Just ordered a G-Boy
Hey all, old skool gamer newly interested in portable modding. Just ordered a G-Boy and genuinely excited for it all!

Hey guys! It's kinda weird that I joined a month ago, but I really wanted to start a project, and just lost the time, but now that I have a decent amount of time and with the release of the G-boy, I'm really looking forward to becoming an active member of this forum!

Hey guys! New here, although I’ve had many of my followers suggest I get in on the boards here! Some of you might know me from Instagram @Jamesyplays - I’m really delving into the modding side of what I do know, primarily handheld based - currently trying to cram things into other things that should be too small and not work! I’ve browsed the forums for a while now, and I really get the sense this is a great community, I can’t wait to learn even more from everyone!

I don't really know what I'm supposed to do because I'm a new member. Welp my name is Ryan. That's it nothing interesting:|

Hello BitBuilt Community!

Fairly new to console modding. My only real experience so far has been building a few Gameboy Macros. Here's a couple that I built these last few weeks after falling in love with my first one. I'll be starting on my first N64 Portable here shortly!

Attachments

Izek

Hello, I'm Izek. I'm glad to be here with the modding community. I don't really know much about modding but I am here to learn. And I am somewhat good with computers. In a way. ;)

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hey guys! Thrilled to be here , i was hoping to enter the 2020 contest with a semi-modular wii but that ship has sailed, allready have a modular n64 in my collection , a gameboy zero and a new layout portable built on a pi 3A+ ,hope we'll do many great portables together!
Good to see you here Chris, I've watched a couple of your videos. Cool stuff!

Hey all, JanieCox here
I saw some old videos on portables a few years back but have just recently really dived deep into the idea. A bit about me, I’m a college freshman majoring in English, a big fan of anime and manga, and have absolutely no experience with electronics aside from a few summer camps in elementary school. That aside, when I get into something I go all in so I’m sure it won’t take too long for me to figure things out
I haven’t begun any projects yet and doubt I will for a while before I get some groundwork started but I know I want my first project to be a PS2 portable with features reminiscent of the GBA/ SP.

Glad to be here, hope to make some good friends and even better portables

Hello new to the community I became aware of the new G Boy kits from GmanModz and it's pushed me into diving headfirst into attempting the portablize kit for myself. I'll definitely need all the help I can get with all the necessary softmodding, trimming, and wiring so I'll be sure to start my research in the other forums and guides. Thanks for having this site up to organize all this information I'm excited to get started!

Sunny

Hey everyone, here's a quick introduction.
My name is Sunny and I'm 17 years old and I've very recently moved to the Netherlands. I use 'Bathtub360' as a username on most other platforms.
I've been interested in soldering and DIY projects for a few years now, but so far the only project I've completed requiring soldering is adding a headphone jack to my Google Home Mini. :blush: I've just been introduced to portable retro handhelds a few days ago, and from the moment I found this forum and discovered I could make my own I've been so excited!
My goals are to make my own PS2 handheld, but with no experience in CAD software, 3d printing or complex wiring diagrams I'm feeling a bit lost , hence why my plan is to start my project with making a Wii portable since I already have a Wii at my disposal ;).

I'm sure I'll be here quite often for help and feedback as I go down the long and daunting rabbit hole of making my own handhelds.
I'd like to give a huge thank you in advance for the guides, worklogs and resources that are already available on the forum.

Kind regards,
Sunny

Hi all!
Chris here. (Didn't realize the name on account creation was the forum handle)

I'm here from Shank Mod's Youtube channel and showing off the G-Boy rev 3.
I *love* the idea and the fact that it's a kit makes it even more enticing.

I know that just because it's a Kit doesn't mean it's easy, but, while I've never done this kind of stuff before, I *love* the teardown and rebuilds. Honestly I'm just scared of doing something irreparable because I'm a newb.

Shank's channel mentioned a G-Boy section, and I don't see it on the forums so I was hoping making an account would let me see it.

Honestly, if someone could post a video guide to building one I think that adoption would skyrocket.
I was looking for a Text and Image guide but was unsuccessful.

Or put another way. I want to watch someone else build one, so I can accurately assess "Hey that looks like something I could do!"
I know I have a LONG way to go before I could finish the build (I only have my dad's "fire stick") but ooooh do I REALLY want to make this build.

(Side note, I'd probably also be asking about modding the Wii beforehand (if needed) so that I don't cut down the board and realize I'm stuck with a standard Wii and no way to load a game onto it)

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Honestly, if someone could post a video guide to building one I think that adoption would skyrocket.
I was looking for a Text and Image guide but was unsuccessful.

Or put another way. I want to watch someone else build one, so I can accurately assess "Hey that looks like something I could do!"
I know I have a LONG way to go before I could finish the build (I only have my dad's "fire stick") but ooooh do I REALLY want to make this build.
Welcome to the forum. A full G-Boy build guide will be coming soon, likely before the next batch of G-Boys are sent out.

Hello!

I think I found this forum from a Ben Heck YouTube video or something and I'm glad to see there's an active community for this kind of hobby.

I'm pretty new to the world of soldering, electronics, and modding, but have a background in computer engineering and building/repair so hopefully some of that will transfer over. Looks like I've got a lot to learn about electricity and such but looking forward to it all the same.

Probably going to lurk for a while and do a lot of reading here. Things like the Electronics 101 videos and some tips on soldering as well. I've got some DIY kits such as a FM radio and a makerbuino to practice on first, so I'm happy to start with those and build some skills/confidence before taking on a bigger project.

Not sure what my first "real" project will be. Lots of ideas in my mind but definitely not ready for anything like that yet.

See you guys around!