Question BitBuilt-Purchased Screen Flickering

I got my BitBuilt order a couple days ago. I connected an untrimmed Wii to the screen and it worked just fine. All of a sudden, it is now just flickering about once every second.

I thought that the 9V battery I was using was dead, but replacing it with a different battery that measured 8.2V did nothing. In fact, it seems to be drawing power from the battery rather quickly, as the battery drained by about 0.02V in the 10~15 seconds I had it plugged in. I tried connecting it to the 5V on the Wii itself, but again, it still just flickers. I checked resistance between power and ground, and sometimes it shows no connection, though that may just be me not measuring correctly, because it usually goes to some unpredictable value from 2M-20M Ohms and then quickly decreases until it reaches about 1M Ohm.

Through the flickers I can see that it is receiving video input from the Wii. I haven't done anything to the screen other than unplugging it and plugging it back in. I also haven't done anything to the driver board. The only modification that I've done to the Wii is U10 relocation, though that is tested working, and the problem also occurs with unmodified Wiis and even when not connected to a Wii. Any idea what the problem could be?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
If you haven't modified the screen you should try with 12v dc input. Sounds like a power problem to me.

I don’t have a 12V power supply, though I have a variable DC power supply coming in the mail, so I connected it to the regulated 12V on the Wii, and it is working perfectly! Thanks! However, I’m confused. The guide on how to modify the screen to run on 5V said to first try it with a lower voltage and see if that works. When I originally tested it, I was just using a 9V battery, and it seemed to be working great. Why would it work on 9V yesterday and then not work today?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I don’t have a 12V power supply, though I have a variable DC power supply coming in the mail, so I connected it to the regulated 12V on the Wii, and it is working perfectly! Thanks! However, I’m confused. The guide on how to modify the screen to run on 5V said to first try it with a lower voltage and see if that works. When I originally tested it, I was just using a 9V battery, and it seemed to be working great. Why would it work on 9V yesterday and then not work today?
Without seeing it I really do not know what your scenario was.

Tron

What gauge are the wires you are using to connect power to the screen? I had an issue with screen flickering when I used 26AWG and the flickering went away when I replaced the wires with 22AWG.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What gauge are the wires you are using to connect power to the screen? I had an issue with screen flickering when I used 26AWG and the flickering went away when I replaced the wires with 22AWG.
I'm not sure of your scenario, I think it could also have been improper connection. The screen uses about .2A at 5v so the wire thickness is not crucial, there is no difference.

At first, I was using one of these to power the screen:
1598527585434.jpeg

It wasn’t until the screen started flickering that I started using solder wires onto stuff and using breadboards and whatnot. However, it’s working now, so provided it continues to work and I’m able to do the 5V modification, I guess I won’t worry about it too much. Thanks for your help!