Question Best places to glue relocations

Bob

Does anyone have a pic of a good place to glue down the bluetooth module and MX modules after relocation (for an OMGWTF)? I'm not glueing them yet, but need to know before I cut wires to length. I've been sifting through worklogs and it's hard to track down good shots of this, though I suspect I'm not looking hard enough. Also, for the MX chip, the battery needs to be removable, right? I'll eventually have to replace it in 10 to 20 years. So I should solder a holder, or at the very least, make it easy to get to in order to desolder and replace.

I'm planning to use epoxy (after I've tested the relocation). Unless y'all recommend something less permanent. I'd do hot glue, but I want to be able to drop this thing down the stairs and not worry about modules popping loose.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this. I tend to be plagued with decision paralysis over these things.

I'd love to see lots of detailed pics of both sides of expertly executed trims. I think The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide would seriously benefit from adding some as well.

Last edited:

Bob

Perfect thanks!

That clears up the bluetooth, but it doesn't look like Gman did an MX relocation in that build, unless I'm missing it.

Um... don't you just wire the MX chip to the battery, I think that would work for N64 games but the time would probably be screwed up. As far as the battery being removable that's your choice.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Perfect thanks!

That clears up the bluetooth, but it doesn't look like Gman did an MX relocation in that build, unless I'm missing it.
Correct, he didn't wire MX to that one, but you can mount it in much the same way as the BT module. I used some thin non-conductive double sided tape to secure my MX chip just to the side of the respective vias on the Wii motherboard, but you could mount it anywhere convenient as long as the wires aren't too long.

Correct, he didn't wire MX to that one, but you can mount it in much the same way as the BT module. I used some thin non-conductive double sided tape to secure my MX chip just to the side of the respective vias on the Wii motherboard, but you could mount it anywhere convenient as long as the wires aren't too long.
What about the battery/not battery debate

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What about the battery/not battery debate
If you want RTC function for Animal Crossing and TTYD raffle, gotta wire in a 3v CR3032 cell. If you don't, dont? Ultimately all games that use RTC will work without a battery, but no time will ever pass when the unit is powered off.

Bob

Huh, yeah, I guess I don't need the battery at all. I'm only relocating the MX so I can do N64 VC games, and none of them need the RTC.