Question Best place to relocate Bluetooth?

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm going to be performing Gman's maximum safe trim, however I noticed the only pinouts for bluetooth are past the cutoff line. Is there a better place to rewire it to or do we need to leave that part of the board on for now?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The Bluetooth really just connects to the GPU and the sync button. I have shown the farthest relocation for Bluetooth in the diagram. Maybe you are confused because I showed the connector and the MX chip in the same diagram

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I recommend doing relocations before you trim since everything is still experimental. Itll make troubleshooting easier.

Alright thank you I have been having issues finding the right spots to rewire. Do you only need the 8 pins on the front of the module?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Alright thank you I have been having issues finding the right spots to rewire. Do you only need the 8 pins on the front of the module?
Pin 5 on the connector is presumably required also. I'm willing to bet half of those wires arent needed if we sacrifice turning the Wii on with the wiimote but we havent tried it yet.

That's rough those pins are tiny for someone using a Radioshack soldering iron. Anyway thanks for the help I'll try looking for some relocation pins again later hopefully that guide will come out soon enough;) I feel like I have to trim this Wii but I'm not going to blindly trim it without being able to use bluetooth

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, a decent amount of Wii locations use small solder points so if you can see if there's a different tip available for the iron. I've got a couple for my Weller and had to switch out to a more conical one when I started working on my Wii.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes a good soldering iron and tip is crucial for small wiilocations. Back in the day, I used to grind my radioshack tips to a fine point when they would wear out. I've had my new iron for 3 years now and have not needed to replace the tip yet.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What iron do you use
I have been using the Velleman but I am looking to upgrade to a different soldering iron mostly because this unit is too big for my downsized work station while in college.