Worklog Benge BS2 Portable PS2

Ollie

are you willing to open source your vita button cad files if you don't mind me asking?

Benge

Portables
1- O-Wii
@The Salty Memes Thank you !!!
@Ollie For the vita button YES, if it can help other person of course I would share them, for the moment I need to test it more for that I need to receive the PCBs

It is tomorrow and this is what the end result should look like :
I don't know how much is the thinnest ps2 but my goal is to make the thinnest !
RenderPS2Benge (2).PNG

*Yup I forgot the Power button (of the PMS) and the power indicator hole

For now, I have tested the L/R trigger it's a totally different design and much thinner and simpler than on my O-Wii, and it work pretty good !
I also printed a test to see if the location of the batteries was good :
20210208_222857 (2).jpg
20210208_222614 (2).jpg

20210208_222624.jpg

And finally the last impression of test that I made is to see if the cut-out PS2 goes well and that everything is good, I only had a few small modifications to make.
Tonight I print the full test of the underside (or the final?)

Benge

Portables
1- O-Wii
After some test print, I'm back with this :
20210209_070814.jpg

The print of the night ... (I hate my bed, it is not flat, and I have tried to add a sheet of paper and here is the result :/ )

Fortunately the second try was the good !
I have chosen to keep the original color, because I don't want it black or white, and I think with white or black buttons/joystick it can look nice.
So I sanded the print, and then I applied two coats of varnish :
vlc_gOtvXqzUxJ.jpg

This time I only had a few very minimal adjustments to make that didn't require printing another version.
Of course after checking that all the components fit well, I started the assembly :
20210211_073518.jpg

Talking about battery !
I planned to use two 5000mah LiPo batteries connected in parallel, so I tested them to check their capacity and internal resistance, and here is the result on this image.
They don't look too different, I think I can put them together (I don't really know the max gap of capacity/ IR). In any case, I keep their PCMs.
20210206_072915.jpg

Finally, here is the final bottom assembly !

20210212_183414.jpg

20210212_231444 (2).jpg

Here you can see the first test, and It works Fine !
For the moment I have not yet tested if the controller works and if the memory card is detected, as well as the USB.

I am waiting my PCBs ... But for the moment I'm really happy with this result !

Benge

Portables
1- O-Wii
In the past day I tested if the memory card and the controller were well connected.
And they weren't !

So I took the motherboard apart, and it was just a wire on each thing that was soldered in the wrong place, after having this modification and reassembled, the controller and the memory card work perfectly.
20210215_232520 (2).jpg

Here some sexy Zoomed pics (phone with lens)
PS2 controller connection, a bit dirty with the glue ... and memory card connection.
vlc_Af6GcTs5RX.jpg
vlc_yepu8psknP.png

Here it is the USB connection with the two 15K pull down resistor.
vlc_nvvtbIO26N.jpg

Benge

Portables
1- O-Wii
Hello guys, good news I have received my PCBs !

I think they are very beautiful in white !
20210223_072914.jpg

I had a small problem with the buttons, the buttons of the directional cross have a gap of 13cm and I put 15, so to repair this error without
ordering again PCBs I moved the buttons and used small enamelled copper wires.
As I have GND everywhere I had no trouble soldering the other terminal of the buttons.
vlc_Jb4lKOio9j.jpg

After I soldered all the components on the pcbs (I would put other pictures tonight) :
20210225_174112.jpg

20210225_174124.jpg

For the moment I uploaded the firmware in the PIC, after a test it works (except the joystick because not configured yet) !

And for the moment I'm still printing test prints for the top part

Last edited:

Pablo

Portables
2 - G-Wii, Gamebii
Oh I would love vita button models. This is looking awesome so far, your projects never cease to amaze.
What are your plans regarding the slightly faulty PS+ code? Are you planning on patching the software or are you just gonna leave it be?