Beginner Wii Portable

Portables
HI, I'm thinking of making a wii portable to test my skills and for a bit of fun. I'm very new to this area, but i've been following some tutorials and I think I understand a little bit. What I know for certain is:

1. U-Amp for audio
2. GC + 2 for controls
3. an 800x600 ips vga display
4. Custom 3d printed housing

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for power delivery though. I would use gman's rvl pms 2 but it's out of stock on 4layertech and I would really like to keep this build under $250. Does anyone know any other voltage regulator boards I can use? Also, does anybody recommend any speakers? (I don't know anything in that regard).

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
My recommendation is that you wait for the PMS-Lite to be back in stock and get a PD-2 as well. Cheaping out when building a portable always adds more work, and you'll be glad for the USB-C convenience when it comes time to use it. If you absolutely must work on a budget, I think @CrazyGadget might still have a few replica RVL-PSU boards for sale. They lack all the quality of life features of the PMS boards, but they're much easier to use than PTH08080s.

Viilmo

Portables
Use a 480p display they are gonna be sharper and a bit cheaper too. The IPS version on 4Layer is $45

Portables
Thanks! By the way, does anybody recommend any speakers by chance? I’m just making a parts list before I go all in and put the time and money in. One more thing, does anybody know when about the pms-lite might be back in stock? I’m not in any kind of time pressure, I’m just curious.

Portables
Btw, I've come a bit further. I was wondering if anyone had measurements of gamecube controller buttons? (A, B, X, Y, D-Pad)?

Portables
Ok, So I know it's been a while since my last update, but things are going well. I just have a few questions.

1. Can anyone tell me how many menu control buttons are on the 4-layer tech screen? (There isn't much info on the website and I haven't bought it yet)

2. Can anyone tell me what the actual dimensions are of the screen?

Thanks For any help.

(I've added a screenshot of the one I am talking about just in case anyone doesn't understand)
Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.44.04.png

Portables
Okay, so a little bit has happened since my last posts. I have almost fully designed the case. Only a few more things to go, but I'm now going to start ordering components like a wii, screen, pms etc.

Portables
How many amps should my batteries be? (This is the one thing i'm not so sure on) and I've ordered all the boards from 4-layer + the screen except the pms-lite, because it is out of stock.

Viilmo

Portables
How many amps should my batteries be? (This is the one thing i'm not so sure on) and I've ordered all the boards from 4-layer + the screen except the pms-lite, because it is out of stock.
That depends on how long you want your portable to last. I would take the highest capacity ones.I think it was about 3800mAh. The max capacity is 3600

Last edited:
That depends on how long you want your portable to last. I would take the highest capacity ones.I think it was about 3800mAh
OP asked for amperage, not capacity. Amperage is the maximum rate the battery can push it's charge through a circuit, mAh measures the total amount of charge the batteries can hold. I don't know how much amperage is needed but op can look at the batteries used in other builds and go off of that. The Ashida uses a pair of 20700s in parallel which can handle up to 9.8 amps each (and they store 5000 mAh) but the 21700s are able to power it for an estimated 3 hours, so it clearly isn't pulling the full 19.6A (when you write batteries in parallel the voltage stays the same and you add the amperage, when you write them in series you add the voltage and keep the same amperage), if I remember my A&D electronics classes correctly you can just divide the the19.6A effective maximum current by the 3 hour battery life, which would mean the system is pulling a little over 6A in practice so op would need to come up with a battery solution that can provide at least that + a reasonable safety margin, but don't quote me on that, it has been more than a few years and I want all that good at my physics courses anyways.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
By amps, I'm guessing you mean the mAh capacity of the cells? it depends on the type of cells you want to use. For 18650 cells used in most portables, genuine Panasonic/Samsung cells go up to 3400-3600mAh. Anything higher than that is fake. The Ashida uses the larger 21700 cells, which max out at 5000mAh. There are also lipo cells, which come in a bajillion different capacities and sizes, but generally we don't recommend those as they're prone to being punctured and are actually kinda hard to integrate into portables due to being flat and wide.

The rated discharge current (amps) of the cells basically doesn't matter in this application, so you can use pretty much any cells larger than 1000mAh. For safety tho, we recommend genuine brand 18650 or 21700 cells from a reputable seller

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Btw, does anyone know where to get any membrane/soft click tact switches?
These are the orange squishy tacts that everyone loves:

These are the orange squishy tacts that everyone loves:
Could I directly wire these tactile buttons to the gc + 2.0? Or do I need to make my own pcb?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Could I directly wire these tactile buttons to the gc + 2.0? Or do I need to make my own pcb?
You wire one side to ground, and the other side to whatever button on the GC+, no PCB necessary unless you want to make something fancy.