Staff member
Portables
Isn't that already a thing?

Edit: Nvm, you right. Wii mode doesn't have it

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
All Wii games support 480p through force, right? Is there a use for forcing video mode in Wii games?

@Aurelio
I tested bbloader 1.3 yesterday and I just have to thank you for this great project, with the tests with Virtual Consoles for it, almost everyone did not load stop at the loading part, I tested with 4 different pendrives (2 kingston, 1 sandisk and 1 multlaser 1 500gb HP external hd) the only Wad that worked was the one on the MSX rod Fighter remaker, would you have a list of VCs that are already working? and I was only able to play it through the wii remote, is there a forecast for emulating the wii remote with the game cube control in Virtual COnsole? a hug and success always.

Xenon

I installed this on my Wii and it worked for a bit. I tried it again this morning right before I was going to start trimming my wii and all I get is a error message. Is there anything I can do?

All Wii games support 480p through force, right? Is there a use for forcing video mode in Wii games?
Well, I'm talking about 480i, if you are a PAL user with the default wii cable and a TV compatible with that and you want to play games translated from Japanese or if they arrived in America but not in Europe for some reason it is a point. If you are like me, an NTSC user who speaks Spanish, there are games that I would rather play in Spanish (it doesn't matter how much I know english) and they are not available here in that language.

I realized because I have Muramasa PAL and when I tested it it was black and white XD

Last edited:

WillF

Hello, I installed BBLoader successfully through USB. I'm going to be converting it to a Wii Portable but I thought BBLoader runs on SD Cards.

How am I going to interface USB when the Wii is trimmed and re-wired?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hi,

I just started watching this thread and I was wondering whether there are other small pendrives that will work? I have read the FAQ but I want to know it for sure. It said that SanDisk might not work, do they mean sandisk sd cards or usb cards by that? I want something as close to flush if possible. I just googled for small pendrives and was wondering whether these will work:

1) Samsung small pendrive

2) SanDisk small pendrive

3) Generic small pendrive

4) Generic small pendrive 2

5) Super duo duo small pendrive

6) Super duo duo small pendrive 2

7) Very small pendrive

Also, is it possible to use the front sd slot for loading games? I have some spare 256gb sd cards, so I was wondering whether bbloader will work that aswell? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Hi,

I just started watching this thread and I was wondering whether there are other small pendrives that will work? I have read the FAQ but I want to know it for sure.
Other pen drives may work, but obviously not everything has been tested. You'd be off on your own to try your drives and see what happens. Mind you most flash drives will handle GC games fine, but not work with Wii games.

It said that SanDisk might not work, do they mean sandisk sd cards or usb cards by that? I want something as close to flush if possible.
It's specifically referring to SanDisk USB drives. In a working microSD->USB adapter, Sandisk cards *should* work, I recall others having luck with that. I think I've also heard people complain about it though so, again results may vary? If you are buying a microSD anyways I'd recommend Samsung since they're well tested and used in the community (and cheap on Amazon).

Also, is it possible to use the front sd slot for loading games?
No; BBLoader uses USB for loading games, for several reasons. One of which is the ease of relocating USB (2 data lines, 5v, gnd) is much easier than SD. But as I said before you can use a microSD to USB adapter that is compatible if any of your cards are microSD. The recommended SD card adapter is available from the BitBuilt store here:
https://store.bitbuilt.net/kingston-micro-sd-to-usb-adapter/
If you're buying a G-Boy kit, it already comes with one of these. If you're buying a microSD specifically for using in a portable might as well get a Samsung Evo Select or Samsung Evo Plus.

Last edited:
Other pen drives may work, but obviously not everything has been tested. You'd be off on your own to try your drives and see what happens. Mind you most flash drives will handle GC games fine, but not work with Wii games.
Wow thank you for the fast reply and answering my questions. Could I perhaps ask why flashdrives tend to handle gamecube games more easily compared to wii games. Is it because of the format (iso for gamecube and wbfs for wii) or is it because they aren't reliable speed wise and wii needs more consistent speed or is totally unrelated to this and there's some sort of other issue that makes it harder to run wii games. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to these things XD

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
There are some reasons but I don't remember/am familiar enough with them to go in depth with it. Basically the tolerances are higher it seems with the Wii. Aurelio has released a few updates that improve compatibility with some drives (that used to not work), but it's a tedious process of "Why does this single brand or drive just not work". He's also a busy guy though and also is working on many projects both for himself and for the community.
It's nothing related to the disk image format though (iso vs. wbfs).

There are some reasons but I don't remember/am familiar enough with them to go in depth with it. Basically the tolerances are higher it seems with the Wii. Aurelio has released a few updates that improve compatibility with some drives (that used to not work), but it's a tedious process of "Why does this single brand or drive just not work". He's also a busy guy though and also is working on many projects both for himself and for the community.
It's nothing related to the disk image format though (iso vs. wbfs).
Thanks, I am just running into one small issue though:

NOW, each time I start the console, the first time I get this error while there clearly is a usb present. It starts with the bootloader, then it shows "failed to fat fs" while there clearly is an usb present. At first I thought it was the usb, but it was brand new. So I reformatted everything to correct format, just like before (fat32, 32kb) and then copied all files to the usb again. I had the error still present.

Then I completely started from scratch and it worked again.

This is what shows up when I start:
1) Startup
2) Error

It randomly comes back again when just powering on. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't (but more often it does show this error).

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks, I am just running into one small issue though:

NOW, each time I start the console, the first time I get this error while there clearly is a usb present. It starts with the bootloader, then it shows "failed to fat fs" while there clearly is an usb present. At first I thought it was the usb, but it was brand new. So I reformatted everything to correct format, just like before (fat32, 32kb) and then copied all files to the usb again. I had the error still present.

Then I completely started from scratch and it worked again.

This is what shows up when I start:
1) Startup
2) Error

It randomly comes back again when just powering on. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't (but more often it does show this error).
What USB drive are you using? Have you tried the other USB port? Maybe the port is dirty or a bit oxidized

What USB drive are you using? Have you tried the other USB port? Maybe the port is dirty or a bit oxidized
I used the Samsung Fit Plus 32gb flash drive. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I switched to another drive (Patriot Rage 2) and I switched ports (using the one closest to the edge of the housing, so when you look at the backside of the wii, it should be the right usb port). It works now, but unfortunately I can't use the Samsung Drive which was actually quite fast and also had a reasonable amount of storage in it. It was also very portable. Hopefully the drive will work better one day, cause bbloader is awesome.

I hope I don't run into the same issues, in case it does happen I will come back and report it here.

Also, in case I want to use an external hdd, most of them should work without problems right? (i.e. there isn't the same lottery of whether it's working or not just like when using flash/usb drives)

EDIT: On a sidenote, in a previous page on this thread it was asked whether there will be support for the Nkit format. I think you said it wasn't possible to decompress on the fly for wii. I do wonder however, whether gamecube Nkits will be possible or is that basically the same? I thought that nintendont could play nkits.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I used the Samsung Fit Plus 32gb flash drive. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I switched to another drive (Patriot Rage 2) and I switched ports (using the one closest to the edge of the housing, so when you look at the backside of the wii, it should be the right usb port). It works now, but unfortunately I can't use the Samsung Drive which was actually quite fast and also had a reasonable amount of storage in it. It was also very portable. Hopefully the drive will work better one day, cause bbloader is awesome.

I hope I don't run into the same issues, in case it does happen I will come back and report it here.

Also, in case I want to use an external hdd, most of them should work without problems right? (i.e. there isn't the same lottery of whether it's working or not just like when using flash/usb drives)

EDIT: On a sidenote, in a previous page on this thread it was asked whether there will be support for the Nkit format. I think you said it wasn't possible to decompress on the fly for wii. I do wonder however, whether gamecube Nkits will be possible or is that basically the same? I thought that nintendont could play nkits.
External HDDs are really hit or miss, mostly miss afaik. They aren't recommended.The Kingston microSD to USB adapter (sold for your convenience in the BitBuilt store) is the drive with the current best compatibility, speed, and reliability. If you can, I'd get one and pair it with a Samsung Evo microSD from the Amazon sales.

External HDDs are really hit or miss, mostly miss afaik. They aren't recommended.The Kingston microSD to USB adapter (sold for your convenience in the BitBuilt store) is the drive with the current best compatibility, speed, and reliability. If you can, I'd get one and pair it with a Samsung Evo microSD from the Amazon sales.
I will go for the kingston to microsd aswell then! I have a samsung evo microsd, I wonder if a Canvas Go Plus will work aswell? So you have a kingston usb to sd with an kingston brand sd card. Shouldn't that give better compatibility?

Sorry for spamming but perhaps they might have overlooked my question but I hope @Aurelio can still enlighten this: I think you said it wasn't possible to decompress on the fly for wii. I do wonder however, whether gamecube Nkits will be possible or is that basically the same? I thought that nintendont could play nkits.

Status
Not open for further replies.