Question Battery Question + N64 PMS

Hmm, I'm going to try to re-wire the ground cables when I get home later since my sides are in not great shape, I'm wondering if that is the issue. Rather than wiring onto the ground on the side, should it work properly if I wire to the ground under the multi out or is the fact that it's powering on mean it's fine and that's not the issue?

Also thanks for the led suggestion i found the diagram I needed.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hmm, I'm going to try to re-wire the ground cables when I get home later since my sides are in not great shape, I'm wondering if that is the issue. Rather than wiring onto the ground on the side, should it work properly if I wire to the ground under the multi out or is the fact that it's powering on mean it's fine and that's not the issue?

Also thanks for the led suggestion i found the diagram I needed.
You want to wire ground to a spot that makes excellent connection with the rest of the grounds so the av out ground might not be the best. I usually wire ground to the thick terminals where the heatsink screws into.

I'm not sure exactly where you mean, is it where I highlighted in red in the photo or somewhere else? Do you possibly mean the screw holes just behind the expansion/jumper pack connector?

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I was referring to the big metal connectors that are soldered in along side the ram. Either one you highlighted works too.

Ok, im thinking about trying to swap the location from the side plate, are these the connectors you're referring to?

Attachments

So i tested re bridging the voltage regulator and using a normal 12v power supply that came with the n64 and the image was fine, however when I re-wired it i get the lines again running off batteries. Any ideas? I tried swapping the wire for +5v, didn't make a difference. I'm using a battery holder for the batteries off amazon, is it possible that's the issue? Could it be just cheap wire?

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
So i tested re bridging the voltage regulator and using a normal 12v power supply that came with the n64 and the image was fine, however when I re-wired it i get the lines again running off batteries. Any ideas? I tried swapping the wire for +5v, didn't make a difference. I'm using a battery hoplder for the batteries off amazon, is it possible thats the issue?
What is the battery voltage? when it dips below 3.3v, then something might happen

The batteries are rated at 3.7v and I'm running two in parallel. I haven't tested the batteries with my multimeter I just assumed they were fine sine theyre supposed ot be the genuines samsung 18650 3.7v 3500mah.

Also I moved the ground to the pins shown above for the 5v gnd connection.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes but the battery voltage will decrease as the capacity is decreased. So you should measure the voltage on them to be sure. Also if you could post a picture of your new testing situation.

So i checked the batteries, the 3.3v connector and the 5v connector

the batteries measured 3.4v
5v line was ~4.9v
3.3v was ~ 3.1v-3.2v
charging port is passing 12v to the board

I have it plugged into the charger atm in case however even with it connected I'm getting the same Issue. I believe I may need to wire the led to confirm its charging. I'm assuming it changes color when it's charging right?

It may also be worth noting that there is no audio when running it over 5v but when i bridged it the audio was working.

and I attached the wiring, I know its messy. I'm just trying to get it working before I make it nice.
pms.jpg
ground.jpg
3.3v.jpg

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes the led will be fading red when charger is connected.

I'm not sure if it is contributing to the problem or not but the solder joints would be described as a cold joint. The solder is not shiny or smooth which means it is not the best solder joint. To avoid cold solder joint you should wipe your tip often to remove cold solder and also use flux.

I'm not sure if your revision may have an audio pre amp that required the 12v or not but for a portable the audio can be grabbed from the video dac.

The wires are still very long. Try and make them short and organized like in my install picture. That way we can narrow that possibility out.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You're gonna want to shorten the exposed lengths of wire there champ. If one of those wires moves and touches something, you get magic smoke.