Question Battery Question + N64 PMS

Hey everyone! I've wanted to build a portable for many years and finally am hoping to get into it. Before I have been planning out everything so that I can verify that the theory behind the portable will work before ruining the console's motherboard. I am hoping to verify the batteries for the console.

I am hoping to use the n64 pms from the bitbuilt store in order to regulate the voltages. I have a question about the batteries I'm thinking of using 18650 3.7v 2500mAh batteries, I am thinking of running two in sets of the batteries running in parallel and then in series in order to get 7.4v at 5000mAH, will this work with the n64 pms or should I consider an alternative?

Here is a link to the batteries in case you want/need it for whatever reason https://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-2-BATTE...=3238828041534410cd0dc2144368bde36ec04e52d375

Also if anyone has any suggestions for better batteries for this I would love to hear it, thanks for any and all help!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
No the n64pms must be 3.7v battery pack. You can wire multiple cells in parallel. Also those batteries are a bit weak, I'd check out the samsung 35E 18650 cells. They have 3500mah capacity.

Ok perfect, thanks a lot for the information!

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting! @Gman I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

I see that the n64 pms supplies 3.3v and 5v, however in the trimming guide for n64 it states that you need to supply 7.4v along with 3.3v after the trim.

Am I able to power a trimmed board using 3.3 and 5 rather than 3.3 and 7.4? If so what pin do I apply to 5v to? Is the blue where I would apply the connection to instead of the one in red (I attached the image)

Also would I be able to use the usb c charger circuit board form the store with the n64 pms as well? I understand I wouldn't be able to use the usb portion of it, however charging over usb c would be delightful.

Sorry for all the question,I just want to make sure I wire it up properly once my board arrives!

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes you should remove the 5v regulator and wire the PMS 5v to the n64 5v as in the diagram. It is possible to use the usb c with the n64pms

I'm not entirely sure where the 5v regulator is, if I'm doing the trim from the guide on this site does that cover removing the 5v regulator or is it somewhere else on the board?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm not entirely sure where the 5v regulator is, if I'm doing the trim from the guide on this site does that cover removing the 5v regulator or is it somewhere else on the board?
The regulator is the black square with the 12v and 5v labeled pins from the picture you posted. If you dont have the tools to remove it easily, you could also just lift or cut the 5v pin.

Perfect, thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate your help!

I forgot to ask, do you have a specific 12v charger you would recommend for my project It's one of the last things I need to order.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Perfect, thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate your help!

I forgot to ask, do you have a specific 12v charger you would recommend for my project It's one of the last things I need to order.
Any 12V DC 3Amp dumb power supply will do, no smart chargers. The PMS handles the smart aspect of charging, so that's all you need. Just make sure you take note of what size barrel connector the supply uses so you can get the right size socket for the portable.

Perfect thanks for the info @Stitches ches , also on the pms, I connect the battery(-) to the A pad right? The battery (+) was mentioned in the notes on the store page.

Also I apologize in advance for the noob questions, assuming I need to send 5v to my screen as well along with the motherboard, do I solder two wires onto the 5v pad and then run the mto the proper places? If not where would be the best place to wire to grab 5v and pass it to the screen as well?

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Perfect thanks for the info @Stitches ches , also on the pms, I connect the battery(-) to the A pad right? The battery (+) was mentioned in the notes on the store page.

Also I apologize in advance for the noob questions, assuming I need to send 5v to my screen as well along with the motherboard, do I solder two wires onto the 5v pad and then run the mto the proper places? If not where would be the best place to wire to grab 5v and pass it to the screen as well?
Battery(-) connects to ground

Perfect, could you please confirm if this is correct? I did a rough wiring sketch of how I believe I need to connect the pms. Sorry for being a pain with all the questions, I truly appreciate the help. My pms should be delivered tomorrow and I would like to make sure I connect it properly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yes that is correct. You should also wire up the rgb led.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Also don't forget to connect a ground between the PMS and the N64.

@Gman just for testing the board with the batteries does the rgb led need to be installed or can I just leave it un-wired to test then wire it afterwards?

@GingerOfOz Would I just wire from one of the gnd pads in between the 5v and the 3v3v pads to the metal plate on the right side along with the tact switch?

Thanks again for all the help!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You can test with the led but if it accidentally gets shut off in shipping mode you would have no way to know. In that case just connect the charger to enable it again.

Yes you can wire it from any ground pad on the PMS.

So I wired up the pms, power supply and tact switch just to test before wiring the led and the thermistor. I am able to power the system just fine by pressing the tact switch, however I am getting these faint lines all across the screen? Any idea what could be causing this?

This is using the multi-out on the back, and I am using 22gauge wire for all the power connections. Also I didn't completely remove the 5v regulator since im not entirely sure how to, however I did remove the leg/pin from it and then soldered the 5v from the pms to it's place without bridging it to the original regulator.

Also just noting, the video is being passed to a cheap composite to hdmi video upscaler just for testing purposes since my tv's no longer have analog inputs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Removing the leg is fine, the install should be correct. I would suggest using 32awg wire for the tact switch. The pad is very small and eventually the thick wire will rip it.

I'm not sure if this could be the issue but it is generally recommended to keep the wires short and neat/organized. The power wires look much longer than they need to be.

Did you test it in that same video set up prior to the mod and are you sure it wasnt always that way?

Perfect, I can easily re-wire it, Just figured i'd use thicker wire for anything with power.

Yeah I tested it prior to wiring the batteries / removing the leg and there wasn't any lines or other issues. I'm honestly not sure that the issue would be. I'm wondering if the wire I used is possibly causing the issue or where I'm attached to ground could be causing it.

I am thinking of keeping the multi-out port on my build, would it be a good idea to test re-wiring the ground to the ground pin under the multiout, or it shouldn't matter?

Also quick question can you tell me the pinout of the led from shortest to longest if you don't mind I would appreciate it!

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here's picture of my own install. Didnt notice any artifacts on the video. Just search on google images "rgb led common anode".
20190822_175204.jpg
20190822_175223.jpg