Question Battery powering a PS2

Hey, absolute beginner here! I want to build a PS2 portable (from a SCPH-75004), but I have some concerns. I'm looking to slowly work my way into portablizing the console, starting with making it independent from wall power.

Now what I need to know is, how would I exactly do this? I know I'd need batteries connected in series amounting to ~8.5V, but could I just use any batteries to accomplish this? The "Portables and Batteries" guide recommends 18650 Li-Ion cells, but they are apparently only available with 3.7V. 2 of them wouldn't be enough (I think?), but 3 would exceed the amount needed. Could I use 3 when I simply connect them to a CMB or BMS? Would I need anything else to regulate the voltage down from 11.1V to 8.5V?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
So there are a few things to consider first:

Are you using the disc drive or loading from USB and/or ETH? That's actually a big one because it will determine how few cells, and how low of a voltage you can use. The only components that seem to directly use the 8.5 volt rail are the disc drive, power LED, stock fan, and rumble motors. Other than that it goes into regulators to be dropped down to other voltages, but the absolute minimum is 6 volts, as the 7805 regulators drop out below that.

So to summarise, figure out how you'll be loading games.

Jonny

Another thing you should consider is the model of PlayStation you want to use. I highly highly recommend using a 79000 model because they can fit reasonably into a handheld, and you'll get the most documentation/support with it. They're not ridiculously pricey (portablizing is not cheap) usually you can find one for under 30+shipping, especially if you look for ones with broken disc drives. If you use the 79000 model it also solves your power issue, just use the ps2pms. (Or if you want to stick with the beginner trim, then you can go with the 2s bms red board, and a 5 volt regulator)
I can tell you that if you use another model then you'll get minimal support if you have board issues, because the 79000 model is the only model we are familiar with. Good luck on the portable!

So there are a few things to consider first:

Are you using the disc drive or loading from USB and/or ETH? That's actually a big one because it will determine how few cells, and how low of a voltage you can use. The only components that seem to directly use the 8.5 volt rail are the disc drive, power LED, stock fan, and rumble motors. Other than that it goes into regulators to be dropped down to other voltages, but the absolute minimum is 6 volts, as the 7805 regulators drop out below that.

So to summarise, figure out how you'll be loading games.
I'm going to load games from USB, so no disc drive. If I was to just connect a BMS/CMB with two of those 18650 battery cells to the fully assembled PS2 for testing purposes, would it be able to safely boot up? This is my first time doing this, so I'm afraid to fry any of my components

It should be safe, however I too think you should use a 7900x model, as it has been all but completely figured out by the devoted members here, and it can be made remarkably small as a result, @Gman is the defacto PS2 board trimming vet here, in fact he wrote the Compendium!!

Do see if you can find a 7900x though, the 75000 is needlessly large for a portable

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...A0.H0.Xps2+79001.TRS0&_nkw=ps2+79001&_sacat=0

It should be safe, however I too think you should use a 7900x model, as it has been all but completely figured out by the devoted members here, and it can be made remarkably small as a result, @Gman is the defacto PS2 board trimming vet here, in fact he wrote the Compendium!!

Do see if you can find a 7900x though, the 75000 is needlessly large for a portable

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...A0.H0.Xps2+79001.TRS0&_nkw=ps2+79001&_sacat=0
I'm currently trying to find a 79001 and in the meantime I want to prepare/learn as much as I can. Thank you very much for your gelp :)

So I have a 79xxx and am building wesks ultra slim so if I’m really only using the stock fan what kind of voltage would I need

Portables
PS2p
So I have a 79xxx and am building wesks ultra slim so if I’m really only using the stock fan what kind of voltage would I need
The voltage for fan going from 8.5 v rail and PWM signal is one the connector for fan on the motherboard, you can connect it to power supply directly, but it will blast at full speed, so use step-down regulator.

The voltage for fan going from 8.5 v rail and PWM signal is one the connector for fan on the motherboard, you can connect it to power supply directly, but it will blast at full speed, so use step-down regulator

when you say rail what are you referring too I took off the disc drive and the fan still works I’m just curious what kind of batter I would need to run the system

Portables
PS2p
Well, the voltage rail, it’s plain on the motherboard, which supply voltage to components, and disk drive and fan works from main power supply voltage, in your case 8.5v, and if you connect it directly to 8.5v fan start spinning on maximum RPM, if do not to relocate fan and heatsink, live it as is, if you need, just extend wires and solder to fan connector

Well, the voltage rail, it’s plain on the motherboard, which supply voltage to components, and disk drive and fan works from main power supply voltage, in your case 8.5v, and if you connect it directly to 8.5v fan start spinning on maximum RPM, if do not to relocate fan and heatsink, live it as is, if you need, just extend wires and solder to fan connector
would i need an 8.5 v battery then

Portables
PS2p
would i need an 8.5 v battery then
Basicly yes, because you using two li-ion batteries connected in series to achieve 8.45v in summary. But if you trimmed your motherboard and use custom regulators, connect fan to any voltage you like.

Basicly yes, because you using two li-ion batteries connected in series to achieve 8.45v in summary. But if you trimmed your motherboard and use custom regulators, connect fan to any voltage you like.
I see I see that def seems above my skill level hahahaha but I will look into it

@Nostars240 But i read abaut a proyect where a ps2 uses a power supply of two 18650 battery cells that makes 7.4 VOLTS.
I want to remove disk reader, so the ps2 is gonna use less than 8.5V, right?
I read also that i need a specific software in the ps2 to say the ps2 that it dont have to "wait to the disk reader", to avoid suspension configuration when it doest detect any disk. (because the disk will be the sd).
If you know more about this please tell me, or if im wrong, correct me.
Thanks a lot.

Portables
PS2p
@Nostars240 But i read abaut a proyect where a ps2 uses a power supply of two 18650 battery cells that makes 7.4 VOLTS.
I want to remove disk reader, so the ps2 is gonna use less than 8.5V, right?
I read also that i need a specific software in the ps2 to say the ps2 that it dont have to "wait to the disk reader", to avoid suspension configuration when it doest detect any disk. (because the disk will be the sd).
If you know more about this please tell me, or if im wrong, correct me.
Thanks a lot.
Okay, I didn’t understand a think, but I can say for sure PS2 doesn’t check input voltage (7.5v or 8.5v) it checks USB 5v rail, and if voltage drops to some threshold console turns off. You can remove 5 leg IC to overcome this limitation, but console wouldn’t work at voltages lower than 5.4v. To overcome this, you need to change two 7805: one near USB ports and second next to the filtering capacitors and power generating IC. Console don’t check presence of disk drive, if it missing, it just works like your laser is dead firstly trying to spin imaginary motors consuming current for driver motor, and then it just stops. If you want to use SD in your system, just buy 7900x PS2 and memory card with free mc boot, and setup your SD card adapter, or just use USB

Sorry if my explanation in English is bad or not very understandable.

In fact, that's what I was referring to.

The thing is, I want to power the PS2 with lithium batteries. Knowing that below 5V it turns off gives me important information.
I'll try to feed it with two 3.7V batteries, I've seen them go up to 12A, which I think is more than enough, because I think I read that the PS2 consumes 5A.

I have an important question too, since I see that you know.

The PS2 receives alternating current, so where specifically should I connect the batteries?
On the motherboard should I look for the area where the alternating current is transformed to direct?

Portables
PS2p
Sorry if my explanation in English is bad or not very understandable.

In fact, that's what I was referring to.

The thing is, I want to power the PS2 with lithium batteries. Knowing that below 5V it turns off gives me important information.
I'll try to feed it with two 3.7V batteries, I've seen them go up to 12A, which I think is more than enough, because I think I read that the PS2 consumes 5A.

I have an important question too, since I see that you know.

The PS2 receives alternating current, so where specifically should I connect the batteries?
On the motherboard should I look for the area where the alternating current is transformed to direct?
PS2 uses DC current, not AC, you need to connect plus and minus accordingly to PS2 motherboard and supply voltage from 5.4v to 8.5v more voltage would result in frying the console, less voltage would result in audio loss at first and complete shutdown on lower voltage. And PS2 never uses 5A, motherboard without anything attached, in my case PS2 90004 with EE 2007 takes ~1.5A at max and overall power consumption in my portable ~1.7A, voltage that writed on a power brick is it maximum output, it’s means that it can provide that current and voltage, PS2 rarely uses 3A

Ok I have looked and indeed, I had forgotten that the ps2 has a transformer before the current reaches the board. In effect, it simply requires feeding it.
I will then put two 3.7V lithium batteries, which will make a total of 5A, which will allow me a good time of use.
I will also have to study how long the battery will last.
Excuse me if I ask you a lot, it's to understand well, and I like to talk to people who understand more than me so that I can learn the why of things.

Portables
PS2p
Ok I have looked and indeed, I had forgotten that the ps2 has a transformer before the current reaches the board. In effect, it simply requires feeding it.
I will then put two 3.7V lithium batteries, which will make a total of 5A, which will allow me a good time of use.
I will also have to study how long the battery will last.
Excuse me if I ask you a lot, it's to understand well, and I like to talk to people who understand more than me so that I can learn the why of things.
Ok, let’s start again: you want to build PS2 portable, I’m I right? I need to know this:
Which motherboard model you want to use in your portable or build? What the requirements for your portable or build? What components you want to use?
And battery capacity measures in mAh or Ah, not just amps. If you can provide any pictures of your build, add them in your next reply, it would help me to help you