Question Batteries for Portable

I have been using these batteries for my portable. I also have been using this PCM. Could I just swap the batteries out for these ones to save space, or would I need a new PCM and charger and all? Thanks!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It should work almost fine, but consider that this pcm has a 7A overcurrent protection, while the NCR18650B are rated for 6A maximum, which means that your batteries won't be correctly protected from an overcurrent situation (unless you are building a pack with cells in parallel, but I din't think that it is your case).
If you want to add overcurrent protection you could just wire a 6A (or a bit less, just to be safe) polyfuse in series to your battery pack.

So if I got a PCM with 6A protection that would do the trick as well?

watsug

It should work almost fine, but consider that this pcm has a 7A overcurrent protection, while the NCR18650B are rated for 6A maximum, which means that your batteries won't be correctly protected from an overcurrent situation (unless you are building a pack with cells in parallel, but I din't think that it is your case).
If you want to add overcurrent protection you could just wire a 6A (or a bit less, just to be safe) polyfuse in series to your battery pack.
In a gcp 6A draw would never really happen, is the fuse for overcharging still needed?

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
The second batteries you listed have a protection circuit built in, so it's not really going to be a "quick swap". Since each of those cells has it's own protection circuit it would not be good to use them with another external protection circuit. That's where the 6A rating is coming from on the NCR cells on Amazon. You can see them here on battery space.

These are relatively new cell types and they're popping up everywhere. You can even buy them at radio shack now. The idea is that they're just lithium ion cells that you can use like AA's since they have the protection circuit built in.

Personally I'm not a fan as it's going to take up slightly more space with the extra protection circuits, and they're not really intended to be wired in series permanently.

Go with the classic multi cell pack with a protection circuit.