Question Batteries/charging

For my PSone Ben heck recommended a Sony F550 battery...well i found a good deal for two... Is there a way I culd use both to get twice the playing time? Also a wall charger was included... Can I somehow put that in my portable so I don't have to clip the battery in the outside?
14653020994681320329128.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Is there a way I culd use both to get twice the playing time?
If you wire the batteries in parallel (negatives connected and positives connected) you will double the time from the two cells.

Can I somehow put that in my portable so I don't have to clip the battery in the outside?
Since these batteries don't have protection circuits, you'll need to get one to ensure the batteries are safe in your portable. When you get your protection circuit, that will also have the feature of being able to charge it.

Ok thanks...is there anything specific I should be looking for in the protection circuit?

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
That one will work for a protection circuit.

If you wire the batteries in parallel (negatives connected and positives connected) you will double the time from the two cells.

Since these batteries don't have protection circuits, you'll need to get one to ensure the batteries are safe in your portable. When you get your protection circuit, that will also have the feature of being able to charge it.
Most protection circuits do not include a charger built in. You would have to use an external charger such as a smart charger from batteryspace.com

Ok so wuld I get the 7.4v or the 14.8v charger since I have two batteries.... And wat jack should I get to use with it?

bentomo

Not quite, those are both smart chargers. You don't want one powering another. Lithium batteries have a special set up on the current limiting to properly charge. Smart chargers are different from DC power supplies. The first one will work but you would need a separate DC power supply to power the charger and power the system while it's in use.

You would want something like this for the charger. http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger12afor74vli-ionpolymerrechargeablebatterypack--ullisted.aspx

And use a separate DC power supply to power the portable while it's charging. There is a diagram floating around of how to do this @ShockSlayer but I can't recall where it is. We will have a guide up sometime in the near future for power and batteries.

Not quite, those are both smart chargers. You don't want one powering another. Lithium batteries have a special set up on the current limiting to properly charge. Smart chargers are different from DC power supplies. The first one will work but you would need a separate DC power supply to power the charger and power the system while it's in use.

You would want something like this for the charger. http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger12afor74vli-ionpolymerrechargeablebatterypack--ullisted.aspx

And use a separate DC power supply to power the portable while it's charging. There is a diagram floating around of how to do this @ShockSlayer but I can't recall where it is. We will have a guide up sometime in the near future for power and batteries.
Sorry for all the dumb questions...but the mAh on the charger you suggested is only 1600 whereas my batteries are 2100...is that a problem?Also I looked at the diagram and if I understand correctly and DC power supply is an ac-dc adapter?

bentomo

There's never a dumb question!

That rating you're refering to means that the batteries must be at least 1600mAh in capacity for safety reasons. The charge rate is rated in mA. Which is 1200mA for the charger I linked you. mAh is a capacity, and mA is an electrical current.

And that is correct. The DC adapter is an ac-dc adapter that should be rated for your power requirements.

Ok so would this ac adapter work? If its the one that normally ran the Playstation... Also I have this charger for the battery... Culd I take it apart and use the charging circuit in there then cut the car charger and put a wall plug on instead?
14654019076931320329128.jpg 1465401946482-2009818464.jpg

bentomo

You could possibly do that yes. It all depends on how the inside is set up. That's essentially how modern chargers work. They take in a DC source, such as the psone you have there, and feed that to an internal charger that manages the battery. And any extra current from the DC source is then fed to the system so the battery can properlly charge while you're using the system.

The psone adapter may not work for a 2 cell set up that you are going for. Typically the DC power supply voltage needs to be higher than the charger voltage, which is 8.4v for a two cell set up.

bentomo

Almost there, assuming you've got the protection circuit you posted earlier picked out too. That DC power supply is a little lacking. It only outputs about 450mA of current. The PSone mini current draw is about 600mA, with a minimum of 7.2v. That's 4.32 watts. The adapter you picked out is 3.78 watts (8.4v * .45A). So you'll need something a little beefier, preferably at bare minimum 7.5V and 1000mA.

Something like this is more of what you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generic-9V-...721672?hash=item1c4d491dc8:g:MnwAAOSwGotWjMUn

You may also want some matching jacks if you don't have some to salvage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5mm-x-2-1...174289?hash=item46443720d1:g:H~wAAOSw5ZBWPLY3

ok cool...do i have to use the plug and jack that come together like the link you sent me...or can I just buy the 2.1mm jack because the charger i am buying i can get with a 2.1mm plug...so would that work or would you still recommend switching out the plug?

bentomo

If the ones you are buying already have the same measurement then go for that. I was just linking some in case yours didn't match.