Solved AVE Bridging

Portables
1 Woodii
So I was wiring the audio and I accidentally bridge some of the pins on the AVE, my trimmed Wii which was working before now has no video and no voltage on the 3.3v. I can't for the life of me get the solder out even with a wick and flux, should I try blobing on more solder so I can get it all out with a wick or using more flux and heat? I also have a solder station if anyone thinks that would be good for fixing this.

pain.jpg

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Seems like this bridge is shorting out 3v3/1v8 to GND so you need to get rid of it. Adding some LEADED solder might help. Besides that flux & wick should be the way to go.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
For the longest time I struggled to get solder braid to work. I thought it was useless and garbage. Then i realized the problem was that the specific solder braid I got was useless and garbage. Gman recommended me this, and it has made life so much easier. I highly recommend giving it a try, it slurps up solder like crazy. Soak it in flux before wicking solder for bonus wickage.

Plenty of flux, a clean iron, and drag the solder toward the tips of the pins. Clean the iron frequently and repeat. Keep applying flux and keep the iron moving with a sweeping motion. A wider chisel or flat edge of a J tip helps.

Last edited:
Portables
1 Woodii
Thanks guys these are all great suggestions. I finally managed to get most of the solder out and I’m getting display again finally.

Turns out the way you hold the wick affects how much solder you get out, using just the tip helps fit into small places (that’s what she said). I also tried shanks idea to drown the wick in flux first and that seemed to help quite a bit.

As a side note, should I start a work log now or when I finish my build?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
As a side note, should I start a work log now or when I finish my build?
I'd recommend you start a worklog when you start the project, and document it as you go.