Question Audio Problem

Paulo

Hello!
I'm building my first portable Wii and everything is working well so far.
Today I was doing the final assembly with everything connected and it turns on and works but there is an audio problem.
To be honest this is the first time Im testing audio, should have done it before, now e everything is wired and glued in place so I have to avoid removing the audio amp as it would be a huge pain to do, my mistake not to test iti before.
As soon as it boots the audio is only static like noise, like in the old TVs when out of sync with a channel.
I have no idea why it is happening, everything is wired properly, Im using a pam8803, wire with ground on both ends, the output on the Wii is wired to the first two pins below the ampaw, the speakers are Wii u gamepad speakers and the input on the amp is also wired properly.
Turning the volume up and down will only make the static noise go lower or lowder, I cant hear anything else but static.
Any ideas on what is going on?
Thanks in advance.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Got pictures? If it's not working, clearly something is wrong. Where are you grabbing audio off the wii, and did you use shielded wire?

Paulo

The audio comes from the first two pins below the ampaw chip on the Wii.
Im using wire with ground, actually is a piece of wire cut from the AV wires that comes with the Wii.
I use the same wire for video and works fine with no interference.
As for pictures, I tried to take some of the amp itself but my controller wires are going on top of it and also hot glue everywere to hold everything in place so its hard to see anything on it.
Also, in the Wii wiring it looks like the white wire is shorting with the pin 3 but it isnt, I double checked.
Also here is a link to the amp:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-PAM...e&pageci=4671ce05-3b4d-48d4-819d-dacb02f4915b

Attachments

cheese

Staff member
Did you perhaps put the audio into the wrong connector? From the third picture it looks like you're putting audio into the left connector, but according to the ebay listing it goes in the right connector

ahrlad

Yeah, looks like you've connected the Wii audio into the amplifier's volume control connector. If you're using a picture of the underside of the board as reference, remember you've got to think backwards to make it work :)

Paulo

Unfortunately it is wired correctly.
The red , white and black wires on the left you are seeing in the 3rd picture are from the buttons.
Also the buttons work fine wich confirms that I wired everything in the correct place.
I've read in other posts that the snd pin should be connected to 5v but I cant find that pin in this board.
Could it be that this amp is not prepared for this kind of job?
Or maybe the speakers are not compatible with it?

Paulo

Unfortunately it is wired correctly.
The red , white and black wires on the left you are seeing in the 3rd picture are from the buttons.
Also the buttons work fine wich confirms that I wired everything in the correct place.
I've read in other posts that the snd pin should be connected to 5v but I cant find that pin in this board.
Could it be that this amp is not prepared for this kind of job?
Or maybe the speakers are not compatible with it?
Anyone?
Its the last step to finish the Wii and I really want it to work.
Should I just try another amp or did I miss something on the wiring?
Im lost :rothink:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I don't see anything obvious, so you're probably better off just getting a better amp.

Paulo

I don't see anything obvious, so you're probably better off just getting a better amp.
:(
That sucks.
I will recheck again the wiring tomorrow, maybe resolder the input wires on the amp, they could have cold joints, I dont know.
If it still doesnt work I dont want to buy the same amp so if you got any sugestions for the amp I would apreciate it.
Thanks for the reply

:(
That sucks.
I will recheck again the wiring tomorrow, maybe resolder the input wires on the amp, they could have cold joints, I dont know.
If it still doesnt work I dont want to buy the same amp so if you got any sugestions for the amp I would apreciate it.
Thanks for the reply
One thing that I noticed is that it looks like your white wire coming from the Wii's audio amp is touching the ground pin as well? Maybe try resoldering that wire. You can also remove the onboard amp entirely and solder to the pads if that makes it easier.
IMG_20190102_040721.jpg
As for a replacement amp I've used this one in all of my Wii's and had good luck with it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-2-3...h=item4b143e19c4:g:1SEAAOSwJtdaTeAv:rk:3:pf:0
I've also used this one before but it doesn't have on board volume control so you'll need an external pot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Mini...m=183504507597&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Paulo

One thing that I noticed is that it looks like your white wire coming from the Wii's audio amp is touching the ground pin as well? Maybe try resoldering that wire. You can also remove the onboard amp entirely and solder to the pads if that makes it easier.
As for a replacement amp I've used this one in all of my Wii's and had good luck with it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-2-3...h=item4b143e19c4:g:1SEAAOSwJtdaTeAv:rk:3:pf:0
I've also used this one before but it doesn't have on board volume control so you'll need an external pot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Mini-Micro-Audio-Digital-PAM8403-Speaker-Module-Amplifier-Board-2x3W-PCB-USB/183504507597?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=55148&meid=7b94ba440d584195b5bc8f2f5d3fac5e&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=183504507597&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226
Thanks for the reply.
I double checked and it is not touching the 3rd pin.
From this angle you cant see it but it is slightly curved to the front so it doesnt touch it.
Also thanks for the new amp sugestion.
I'll have a look :)

Paulo

UPDATE:
I've rewired the wires from the Wii to the amp hoping that it could have some sort of problem but no.
Still static noise.
But, I've let the Wii on for a while just to see if after some time the sound would work and something strange happened.
After about 1 minute the static quickly disapears, I can hear the Wii sound for about half a second and then the speakers turn off!
Everything happens really quickly, not sure why.
Any idea of what this issue could be?

Paulo

Ok, after almost one month I finaly got a new amp, the pam8803 that @Festiva recomended.
Only to find out that the same problem remains.
I've rewired everything 3 times, changed the place of the amp to check if it could have some kind of interference with other components but still the same.
But this time I can faintly hear the Wii sound mixed with the static.
My guess goes to some kind of interference somewhere.
I've triple checked and there are no shorts in the wiring so I can rule that out.
After exaustive wiring over and over I've checked the trimming guide in the hope of finding a miracle somewhere.
Knowing that often static noise comes from some sort of ground problem I've checked continuity between all the sound soldering points on the trimming guide and the Wii GND and found something.
If I check for continuity between the points in the blue arrows on the picture below and the Wii GND the multimeter beeps!
Is it suposed to beep or are the sound traces somehow shorted with ground??
Thanks in advance for any help, this is driving me crazy!

Attachments

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
Try wiring to the points right above that, I wanna say that is the ground side of a pull down resistor

Paulo

Try wiring to the points right above that, I wanna say that is the ground side of a pull down resistor
Thanks for the reply.
Still no luck.
Today I bought a portable speaker with aux in to see if there could be any problems with the previous amps/speakers but only static.
I dont know what else it could be.
The Wii was outputing normal sound on the tv when I was instaling the portablizemii...
The vídeo outputs fine, the screen works very well with no static so I guess the Ave chip works properly.
Any ideas on what else I could try?
EDIT: this is 6 layer board if that matters

Paulo

Any other solutions I can try or is the board damaged?
Dont know if I should just bin it and start over :'(