Worklog Ashida Worklog, my first project

I originally got interested in portables a couple years ago but felt that it was way too difficult for someone like me with no experience or knowledge about electronics prior, but just recently I thought about actually giving it a go. I decided on an Ashida because it's an amazing design with the least difficulty and I'm a beginner. I'm making a worklog because it seems fun and I know I'll have quite a few questions.

This is my current parts list which I'm preparing. Anything with a price not listed I already have, I just need to gather them. To start I'm going to get the PMS Lite when its back in stock, the screen, and everything else I need so I can test boot.
I also want to include bluetooth and the mx chip because I want to be able to connect a second controller and the RTC for some games. I'm drilling holes and putting IR LEDS for a sensor bar.
While I'm waiting for things to come in stock, I am learning about electronics and the whole process. Right now I mostly understand everything except for how to wire up VGA and the MX chip.
I have some random boards I'm going to practice soldering on before starting.

Parts:

Digikey cart (everything from digikey on BOM) - I have cart on my pc $31.98 +shipping and tax
one of these $1.61 plus tax and shipping
2 of these $4.88
2 lithium ion batteries $15.98
rvl pms lite $70
power delivery board $20
u-amp 2 $24
gc +2 $15
ashida pcb set $15
Screen $45
Stickboxes (taken from knockoff wii classic controller)
gamecube rubber pads $5.75
gamecube buttons $2.77
Need second Z button
Case (3d printing myself on my TEVO Tornado)
Screws (from wii)
4 Layer Wii (I have from when I was younger)
micro sd card adapter $6
Micro sd card $11.69
IR leds (taken from sensor bar)
Resistors for IR leds (no idea what kind)

Cost of parts: 269.66

Tools/Supplies:
Insulation tape
Brush
Caliper
Multimeter
Side snips/cutters
Wire stripper
Needlenose pliers
Tweezers
Work mat
Isopropyl alcohol
Screwdrivers
X-acto knife
Dremel
Shrink wrap
Sandpaper
soldering iron $26 (I have a soldering iron already which I’m going to test, but if that doesn’t work well I’ll buy this or something better than this)
Solder
Flux: $14
Solder sucker / wick: $7
soldering iron tip cleaner $9
Fume extractor (optional but highly recommended): $36
arms with magnifier $6
tape $7
22awg stranded wire: $17
34awg magnet wire: $16

Cost of tools and supplies: $138

Total: $407.66

A couple questions I have are will these stickboxes from a knockoff classic controller work?
1659558931907.png

Another thing is I already have 10 18650 batteries from a ryobi battery, and is it worth the battery life to buy the bigger cells?
1659559044063.png

First try at a case print with PETG (went terribly):
1659559104428.png

Case with PLA after a few tries and some tuning. (Before I print the rest of the case I am going to tune some more, and I have much sanding and clean up to do)
1659559176582.png

1659559242854.png

I broke the circle around the D-Pad while removing supports, but I think it should be fixable?

Lastly here are my trim lines:
1659559401056.png
1659559437540.png

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The sticks will work, but they probably won't be the best feeling

Ah okay, I might just buy official stick boxes, official buttons, and the bigger cells. I don’t want it to feel cheap.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ah okay, I might just buy official stick boxes, official buttons, and the bigger cells. I don’t want it to feel cheap.
You'll thank yourself. Also the Ashida case is designed for 21700 cells, not 18650s. 18650s will not properly fit in the holders

My plan was to 3d print an adapter to fit the 18650s, but I think I'll just save myself the trouble and get the bigger cells.