Ashida Wii Portable

The screens are currently in stock at 4layertech.com
That was weird they were not this morning when I ordered all my PCBs hence why I was asking about the one I found. Anyway is it the same screen and board? I looked thru all the technical parts and it looks spot on the same??

roht

How much would it cost to build overall
The BOM suggests USD236.62, ignoring shipping and tariffs, and assuming you have a Wii and Gamecube controller to sacrifices, plus a way to 3D print the shell.

MJMT

Portables
I spent over 360 on my printing alone :'(

I'm thinking of building my own ashida, but since both the PMS and the parts to build the PMS are out of stock, so how should I power the portable?

Gathered all the components! Printed my shell, hope to document a build log soon!

MJMT

Portables
Here's Mine so far. Just need to wire the battery holders, Driver Board, and Bluetooth.
Ashida Assembly.jpg

Think this might be a good modification to the Trigger Lock? I noticed that the original limits the distance the bumpers can travel.
Trigger LockMod.png

Attachments

Last edited:

MJMT

Portables
[Solved] I finished building mine and it detects no usb :( (RevB). I double checked everything and moved from the array to the Via on the board. checked the usb/sd on a different build and it works. I read 5v on "UP" 3.3 on power, and 3.3v on the 3.3. The ground also shows a perfect ground. the + data wire goes to the + and the - data wire goes to the negative. I don't have the BTN terminal connected to the PMS. It is just connected to the BTN terminal on the Ashida PCB set. I am using the CM1 side on the USB. It also pulls up fine when I hook the USB C up to my PC to modify the files.

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
I finished building mine and it detects no usb :(. I double checked everything and moved from the array to the Via on the board. checked the usb/sd on a different build and it works. I read 5v on "UP" 3.3 on power, and 3.3v on the 3.3. The ground also shows a perfect ground. the + data wire goes to the + and the - data wire goes to the negative. I don't have the BTN terminal connected to the PMS. It is just connected to the BTN terminal on the Ashida PCB set. I am using the CM1 side on the USB.
Just to make sure, your lines are twisted together very tightly, correct?

MJMT

Portables
Wow! That is beautiful! What material and fab did you choose. Absolutely love it!
That's a Clear Resin from PCB Way. [Solved] I just have 1 really silly problem now. I have to reinstall RVloader and I get stuck where it wants me to hold down Start/Home for 2 seconds. It just wont register. I'm pretty sure that bottom let button is Start? (Had to wire a temporary start button for this procedure)
IMG_20220507_214529731.jpg

Edit: 1 of my biggest remaining issues is that Metroid Prime won't load. METROID PRIME! The sequel loads fine.

Last edited:

Kermen

This is how my print came back. Looks pretty slick. They seem to have done a good job. Can hardly believe it was printed. (PCBWAY)
View attachment 22275
Looks amazing. Thinking of doing half clear half GameCube indigo.
How much did it end up costing for the full print from pcbway?
and what resin did you chose?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Think this might be a good modification to the Trigger Lock? I noticed that the original limits the distance the bumpers can travel.
View attachment 22372
I don't think that'd print well at all in FDM or SLA. I've updated the original files to no longer include the locks as they aren't needed at all. If people do want the locks/guards they can get them from official controllers or as spare parts.

That's a Clear Resin from PCB Way. [Solved] I just have 1 really silly problem now. I have to reinstall RVloader and I get stuck where it wants me to hold down Start/Home for 2 seconds. It just wont register. I'm pretty sure that bottom let button is Start? (Had to wire a temporary start button for this procedure)View attachment 22396
Edit: 1 of my biggest remaining issues is that Metroid Prime won't load. METROID PRIME! The sequel loads fine.
Hello, if you use vga, pal games(at least not every) supports progressive and won't work with rvlloader.

Looks amazing. Thinking of doing half clear half GameCube indigo.
How much did it end up costing for the full print from pcbway?
and what resin did you chose?
PCB way have a few options available. The backpiece of the Ashida uses more plastic, the transparent resin for both cases are roughly $130 (the back piece being around $80-$70).

you also pay more for the paintwork. The cheapest options come out at around $60 for both is ABS white plastic.

All this is before delivery charge.

you’re probably looking at paying around $150 (if you want the good stuff)

You can check if you visit their website, make sure you download the Ashida files (anything over 50mb can’t be uploaded, so make sure you use the right one).

It's been a long wait, that wait is now over...

Get comfortable, make sure headphones are placed firmly on your head and prepare for a little introductory video to a portable that previously only existed in memes and dreams:

(4k and fullscreen recommended)

I could take full credit but in reality the Ashida was a community effort, either directly or indirectly.
It would not have been possible without the great minds we have giving back to the portablizing community.

Features:

• OMGWTF (Basic) trim for easy trimming.
  • 5 inch 16:9 display with support for a stock VGA controller or @Aurelio's Direct Drive boards.
  • Everything you'd expect from a stock GameCube controller.
  • Dual 35x35x10mm heat sinks (or a single 35x70x10mm) and axial fan, providing enhanced cooling while being whisper quiet.
  • Dual Z buttons to take advantage of additional GC2Wiimote features.
  • Dual 21700 Batteries, giving up to 3.5 hours of potential play time (10,000mah)
  • Custom Controller and Audio interface boards, designed and supplied by 4 Layer Technologies.

All the required boards can be purchased from 4 Layer Technologies: https://4layertech.com/collections/all
Further assembly documentation and instructions can also be found at: https://4layertech.com/products/ashida-pcb-set

It was intended for everyone building an Ashida to use IPS panels along with Aurelio's Direct Drive board, unfortunately due to the current global chip shortage that just isn't possible for the launch. A fallback solution screen and driver board has been provided in the BOM in the meantime. I highly suggest that when the option becomes available to upgrade to an IPS panel and Direct Drive for optimal picture clarity and additional features.

BOM (supplied by 4LayerTech): Ashida BOM

Buttons, membranes and other controller parts can be salvaged from any GC controller, official or 3rd party (as long as they look original).

Included in the 3D print downloads are the base, full resolution files. These models are large and will take low spec PC's a long time to slice.

I've also included re-meshed, optimized quality files. These are much easier on PC's and are optimized enough to be uploaded to 3D printing services like PCBWay. Although they are lower quality, once printed and actually in your hands you'd be hard-pressed noticing the difference between the optimized res and full resolution files.

3MF's have also been included for optimal print settings if printing with an FDM printer.
Total filament usage is around half a kilo and about 40 hours of print time.

Optimized files can be downloaded here: Ashida Optimized Files

Full resolution files can be downloaded here: Ashida Full Resolution Files

Mounts, buttons, etc can be downloaded here: Ashida Misc Part Files

BOM: Ashida BOM
Hey whisk, I was wondering if you had any 3-D printing suggestions for the best printing results.