Ashida Wii Portable

How does the screen connect to the Wii? Sorry if that's really obvious, but I'm gearing up to create a YouTube video of assembling one of these bad boys

I have a question. I ordered the screen on the parts list for the Ashida PCB set and I was just wondering if since that screen is VGA was I correct in having RVLoader set to VGA output?

I'm sorry if this isnt the right place to ask this sort of question, if it isnt I will delete this and make sure to post in the correct forums in the future

Viilmo

Portables
I have a question. I ordered the screen on the parts list for the Ashida PCB set and I was just wondering if since that screen is VGA was I correct in having RVLoader set to VGA output?

I'm sorry if this isnt the right place to ask this sort of question, if it isnt I will delete this and make sure to post in the correct forums in the future
VGA is what we mainly use at the moment since it has better image quality so nothing set wrong in RVLoader. As far as im concerned Direct Drive from @Aurelio will probably come to the 4Layer store soon. It will have the best quality because it takes the signal directly from the GPU to your screen.

If you have a question about a portable like here right now always feel free to post it.

Last edited:
This project is beautiful enough to get me to come out of my years lurking! Couple questions I couldn't find a straight-forward answer regarding (apologies if there's a separate 4layer pcb thread I should post in) that I figured I should sort out prior to diving in:

1) PMS-PD : Is the usb-C port dedicated to solely power delivery? Or can it function as a usb port for a controller adapter?

2a) Are gamecube controller start buttons suitable replacement for the lower 2 tactile buttons? Or are they different in size?

2b) Are tact buttons short + long required for mounting or preferential?

3) Does the improved (assuming) regulator for 1.8v (RVL-PMS-2) help with battery life relative to the PMS-lite? Having difficulty determining the practical difference otherwise.

4) Does GC+2 remove snapback? Or is a snapback removal capacitor/s2b chip still needed? & on a similar note are there any examples of how the GC+2 configuration works? I'd be planning on (almost definitely) notching my gate [I haven't seen anyone printing notches & I'm not sure how flexible the configurator is (if I can set a specific input to give a particular coordinate all the time similar to goomy's pcb then printing with notches may be a possibility)]

5) Is it possible to mention the model of the higher-quality display that we should watch out for to swap in?

Last, a more specific question- I was planning on ordering from pcbway with a #1000 sanded finish for the main shell, should I just get it raw in case the sanding impacts fitment? The material I'm going to use is rather smooth anyway [+ do you have a particular material recommended for any other internal part(s)?]

Thanks so much for enduring my barrage of questions! This project is like a dream to me, so forgive me if I came across as overbearing I'm just excited to get this underway!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
This project is beautiful enough to get me to come out of my years lurking! Couple questions I couldn't find a straight-forward answer regarding (apologies if there's a separate 4layer pcb thread I should post in) that I figured I should sort out prior to diving in:
1) PMS-PD : Is the usb-C port dedicated to solely power delivery? Or can it function as a usb port for a controller adapter?

It functions as a charger port and data port for transferring between your PC and the internal USB.

2a) Are gamecube controller start buttons suitable replacement for the lower 2 tactile buttons? Or are they different in size?

Different size.

Preferential.

3) Does the improved (assuming) regulator for 1.8v (RVL-PMS-2) help with battery life relative to the PMS-lite? Having difficulty determining the practical difference otherwise.

There is a minor improvement over the stock LDO, in total maybe 10 mins difference over an entire discharge.

4) Does GC+2 remove snapback? Or is a snapback removal capacitor/s2b chip still needed? & on a similar note are there any examples of how the GC+2 configuration works? I'd be planning on (almost definitely) notching my gate [I haven't seen anyone printing notches & I'm not sure how flexible the configurator is (if I can set a specific input to give a particular coordinate all the time similar to goomy's pcb then printing with notches may be a possibility)]

It won't remove snapback.

5) Is it possible to mention the model of the higher-quality display that we should watch out for to swap in?

You can use the Eyoyo IPS display but the driver board is too large to fit, I believe you can use the Eyoyoy IPS display with the buydisplay PCB.

It functions as a charger port and data port for transferring between your PC and the internal USB.

Different size.

Preferential.

There is a minor improvement over the stock LDO, in total maybe 10 mins difference over an entire discharge.

It won't remove snapback.

You can use the Eyoyo IPS display but the driver board is too large to fit, I believe you can use the Eyoyoy IPS display with the buydisplay PCB.
Quick as a flash! Thanks so much!

Viilmo

Portables
Will the screen in the parts list work later with the Rvl-DD?