Ashida Wii Portable

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
3.540.png

It's been a long wait, that wait is now over...

Get comfortable, make sure headphones are placed firmly on your head and prepare for a little introductory video to a portable that previously only existed in memes and dreams:

(4k and fullscreen recommended)

I could take full credit but in reality the Ashida was a community effort, either directly or indirectly.
It would not have been possible without the great minds we have giving back to the portablizing community.

Features:

• OMGWTF (Basic) trim for easy trimming.
  • 5 inch 16:9 display with support for a stock VGA controller or @Aurelio's Direct Drive boards.
  • Everything you'd expect from a stock GameCube controller.
  • Dual 35x35x10mm heat sinks (or a single 35x70x10mm) and axial fan, providing enhanced cooling while being whisper quiet.
  • Dual Z buttons to take advantage of additional GC2Wiimote features.
  • Dual 21700 Batteries, giving up to 3.5 hours of potential play time (10,000mah)
  • Custom Controller and Audio interface boards, designed and supplied by 4 Layer Technologies.

All the required boards can be purchased from 4 Layer Technologies: https://4layertech.com/collections/all
Further assembly documentation and instructions can also be found at: https://4layertech.com/products/ashida-pcb-set

It was intended for everyone building an Ashida to use IPS panels along with Aurelio's Direct Drive board, unfortunately due to the current global chip shortage that just isn't possible for the launch. A fallback solution screen and driver board has been provided in the BOM in the meantime. I highly suggest that when the option becomes available to upgrade to Direct Drive for optimal picture clarity and additional features.

BOM (supplied by 4LayerTech): Ashida BOM

Buttons, membranes and other controller parts can be salvaged from any GC controller, official or 3rd party (as long as they look original).

Included in the 3D print downloads are the base, full resolution files. These models are large and will take low spec PC's a long time to slice.

I've also included re-meshed, optimized quality files. These are much easier on PC's and are optimized enough to be uploaded to 3D printing services like PCBWay. Although they are lower quality, once printed and actually in your hands you'd be hard-pressed noticing the difference between the optimized res and full resolution files.

3MF's have also been included for optimal print settings if printing with an FDM printer.
Total filament usage is around half a kilo and about 40 hours of print time.

Optimized files can be downloaded here: Ashida Optimized Files

Full resolution files can be downloaded here: Ashida Full Resolution Files

Mounts, buttons, etc can be downloaded here: Ashida Misc Part Files

BOM: Ashida BOM

Ashida3.png

Build Guide by Dubesinhower:

Attachments

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Ingenious integration with those PCB castellation's. Im seriously at a loss of words with that production quality in that video. Already purchased!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Now why couldn't Nintendo have just made this for us to begin with?

Stellar work Wesk lad, and all others involved! Definitely going to have to look at making one of these myself at some point.

Gex

Oh this is one of the most gorgeous portables I’ve ever seen!

Just when I started building my first portable you guys went and did this... I LOVE IT.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Looks good think this is going to be my next project.are there any issues with rigidity If you split the model to fit on a smaller printer like an ender 3
At no point was this designed to be split up, that doesn't mean it's not possible but I doubt it'll turn out well.

That being said other users have managed to fit it on an Ender 3 already:
1699132879130.jpeg

Last edited:
At no point was this designed to be split up, that doesn't mean it's not possible but I doubt it'll turn out well.

ok that's good to know thanks for the reply i guess i will just give the print a shot

Last edited by a moderator:
Portables
Any chance there's a list of recommended Tamiya paints for "near" GameCube colours? Either for those painting over transparent SLA or those painting opaque colours

This is beautiful. Thank you so much for your work on this, and even more for sharing it with the world.

I started buying parts over a year ago so I could start on my first portable. But I wasn't very satisfied with the case designs available, as I wasn't willing to compromise on things like button layout. I want it to feel like a real Gamecube controller. I also wasn't confident in my ability to design my own case. Now that this is available, I know what my case will be and I just ordered everything left. I can finally start building my own portable, which has been a dream for many years.

Is there a place where I can buy a single Gamecube controller Z button. I have all the buttons But am missing one due to the extra used in the design.

Viilmo

Portables
Can you use a RVl-PMS lite for this portable?

Would it be possible to acquire the gcode for Ender 3. Despite my best efforts the print keeps failing.

Last edited by a moderator: