Ashida Wii Portable

Would something like this work?

Or this

Portables
Would something like this work?

Or this
The power banks you're looking at here are 12v output they could be likely to cause a fire connecting to your charge input.

In the case of your portable the internals are unknown to the forum and the power circuit would also be unknown. That being said it would be difficult then to reliably offer a solution to you that wouldn't cause you to have a portable fire unit

Right. I don't get it though. Surely the charger that was provided which I've stated as been 12.6v 3 Amp would indicate something of the internals? That's exactly why I'm asking for help. So the charger is as stated so can't portable charging not be replicated exactly like the plug in charger?

Portables
The charger just states that the batteries are possibly 3s. There's no guarantee of a BMS board, 3s charge board internally mounted or what the input is actually capable of. Which means based on the brick you need a 12.6v 3a constant current constant voltage charge setup to be safe. Those items you listed are not these. As far as I'm aware I haven't seen a portable battery pack with this output

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Right. I don't get it though. Surely the charger that was provided which I've stated as been 12.6v 3 Amp would indicate something of the internals? That's exactly why I'm asking for help. So the charger is as stated so can't portable charging not be replicated exactly like the plug in charger?
Can you post a picture of the charger?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Right. Thanks so if that's cotrect are there any portable options to charge OTG? Also because of the low battery life what mah are we talking about possibly? They've advertised the battery life as 2-3 hours but I barely get 1 to be honest.
Well, a competently built Ashida with two 5000mAh cells will usually run for 3 to 3.5 hours on a full charge. If you're only getting an hour out of it, they might have slapped some bargain basement 2000mAh cells in it. This is typical for most of the aliexpress trash. There's only one or two vendors with "acceptable" products, and even those are flawed beyond what we would consider sale worthy.

I'll wager that if you opened the system, we'd see that they're powering the Wii and the screen directly off of the 3S1P pack with no custom regulators. If that is the case, then you're not getting the full life of the cells due to the Wii cutting out at a 10.1v (IIRC) minimum input.

I can’t say for certain, but if your Ashida looks like the orange one in the provided photos, here’s what the interals should look like. I won’t provide any advice on a safe charging solution, but hopefully someone else can.
IMG_6164.jpeg
IMG_6165.jpeg
IMG_6166.jpeg
IMG_6167.jpeg
IMG_6168.jpeg
IMG_6169.jpeg

Hi. Yes. That's the one. Mine is in red though. I mean it works fine but just doesn't give me anymore than an hour's play. Maybe they have used inferior cells?

The description states a battery life of 3 hours but where there's money to be made people will say anything.

Looks like I've bought a dud.

Well if I can't do anything about it then I'll have to either play with the charger plugged in or just accept the hours play time.

I just thought if I could replicate the charger but via an external battery pack I could make it last longer.

I could open it up and do some investigation but the case was a sod to get back on and I don't want to risk any damage to the internals however shoddy they may be.

Thanks for your help guys. If someone can think of a solution then let me know.

I

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Replacing the cells will increase the runtime. If yours has spring tab battery holders like Bryce's does, then you can just swap the cells out

Portables
Could I use parts from the switch GC controller in this build, or does it have to be from an OEM controller?