Worklog Ashida: A Worklog (feat. My First Portable)

Portables
*Disclaimer: This is my first build so any help and encouragement is welcome*

So it all started a while ago when I decided I was going to play all of the *official* Legend of Zelda games (I say official because I'm not too intrigued with the CDI Zelda games). Emulating the early games was definitely an option, but although I have quite a beefy computer, it wouldn't be the same to emulate later ones (such as Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and so on). Having to find time to sit down at home to play is also rather difficult for me, seeing as when I am at home there is usually work to be done. But being able to play in a car in trips (I travel quite frequently) or between classes or even right before bed while visiting friends or family was exactly what I was looking for.

It was around this time that I found Shank's YouTube channel and instantly became fascinated - and quite honestly - obsessed with the idea of making a portable Wii. It was exactly what I was looking for. With the ability to emulate most previous consoles while simultaneously natively running GameCube and Wii games, a portable was perfect - exactly what I was looking for. I began scouring the BitBuilt forums looking for the portable I would build.

And that's when I found what would become my new child.

So without further ado, some pictures for my Ashida worklog:

IMG_0350.jpg

The 3D printed shell alongside the recently letterbombed Wii.

IMG_0351.jpg

There's still quite a bit to be trimmed down before it's going to fit in there.

IMG_0352.jpg

It's a pretty good print but as you can see there's a lot of work to be done to get those print lines out of there.

IMG_0353.jpg

4Layer Santa came

IMG_0354.jpg

I'm thinking of maybe trying to retroactively put fit in the IR sensors on either side of the screen if it's possible.. but that's not necessarily a priority. Also, I do plan on painting the shell to more closely match the original indigo of official GameCube controllers, but since this purple was the closest thing I could find I figured it would be the best option so if any of the inside is somehow visible it won't stick out too much.

YouTube Trailer:

Check out the official thread here*: 4Layer products sold here:
*all parts I purchased were recommended in the Ashida BOM from the thread
this worklog is in no way sponsored by 4Layer, I just figured I would put the link because of the awesome job they do. I did not nor expect to receive any compensation from 4Layer.

Special thanks to @Wesk for all the time, work, and effort dedicated to this design!
Special shoutout to @Shank for opening my eyes and introducing me to the portablizing world

Portables
Good luck, however that Wii looks like a 6 layer, you're going to need a 4 layer Wii for an optimal setup.
Thanks! I'll check again - I believe it's an RVL-CPU-40 so it should be a 4 layer Wii I believe? If it ends up being a 6 layer though I'll gladly get a new Wii, a black one just to make sure.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Thanks! I'll check again - I believe it's an RVL-CPU-40 so it should be a 4 layer Wii I believe? If it ends up being a 6 layer though I'll gladly get a new Wii, a black one just to make sure.
That should be fine then, for the vast majority of Wii's if it's white with gamecube ports it's likely a 6 layer.

Portables
!!!TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!!

So I've slowly been working on everything between classes, homework and my job and here's were we're at!

IMG_0365.jpg

So far I've migrated all of the stick boxes over to the Ashida PCBs

IMG_0367.jpg

The back still looks a little rough but we're getting there

IMG_0370.jpg

More than anything this is just a test fit to make sure that everything sits in the case and has that authentic GameCube controller feel.

You can also see the two extra holes in the front on either side of the screen. Those fit two IR LEDs that will act as the sensor bar.. if I ever wanted to play anything that required them.

Portables
Is there any reason you didn't print them in the orientation that doesn't require sanding?
Simply put I’m a noob.. Unfortunately I’d never 3D printed anything before. The screen mount and trigger brackets came out perfectly when I realized how to fix it but unfortunately the case was the guinea pig

Portables
More pictures to come soon!

For the most part it’s all finished..just putting the finishing touchesbut I had a few questions in regard to RVLoader. Is there a way to display battery percentage at all? Also, as of right now mine will only turn on as if I had a button wired, so I flip the switch and after a few seconds it turns on, and when I want to turn it off I have to flip the switch to the off position, then flip it to on (as if pushing a button) again for a few seconds, then finally again to the off position. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
More pictures to come soon!

For the most part it’s all finished..just putting the finishing touchesbut I had a few questions in regard to RVLoader. Is there a way to display battery percentage at all? Also, as of right now mine will only turn on as if I had a button wired, so I flip the switch and after a few seconds it turns on, and when I want to turn it off I have to flip the switch to the off position, then flip it to on (as if pushing a button) again for a few seconds, then finally again to the off position. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?
The PMS FAQ says you can configure the power button behaviour in RVLoader, so I guess there's a setting somewhere to change it from momentary to latching

Portables
So I’ve looked into it a little more and strangely I don’t have the power tab in the settings on RVLoader, and I’m guessing that is where those options would appear. Not sure if it’s a glitch but it has RVLoader 1.4 and I’m using a pms2

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
So I’ve looked into it a little more and strangely I don’t have the power tab in the settings on RVLoader, and I’m guessing that is where those options would appear. Not sure if it’s a glitch but it has RVLoader 1.4 and I’m using a pms2
If you don't see a Power tab in the settings then it means that you haven't wired i2c (SDW and SCW) properly.

Portables
Thanks @Aurelio.. looks like I'm an ass lol I forgot to even wire those up. Went in, made quick work of it, and it now works perfectly

Portables
Picture time! the pictures were taken in different lighting, which is why the coloring is different picture to picture

IMG_0400.jpeg

So here's the finished product - looking good!

IMG_0420.jpeg

Testing the bluetooth module and it works!

IMG_0423.jpeg

It boots into games as expected and the GC+ 2.0 is working great!

Thanks again to everyone's hard work to design such an awesome device!

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Great job! Kind of curious... Did you have to sand or cut the d-pad or the buttons down at all? Looks awesome!
The only buttons that require a little bit of trimming are the Z buttons, everything else will fit without modification.

Portables
As @Wesk said, there really isn't anything that needs trimming except the Z buttons- I did sand the button wells a little bit just to make sure they didn't stick but mostly because when I 3D printed the case I didn't know what I was doing so certain buttons were rather snug and probably would have stuck if I didn't. I also made some modifications so that original gamecube start buttons would fit into the start and bluetooth holes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was a lot of sanding and while it is cool to be able to say that they are original start buttons, it was way more effort than what it was worth.

It looks like the only pictures I have of them at the moment are pretty early on in the build process but here they are:

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

Attachments