Discussion Arcade Style Controller (Full Controls)

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Alright, so as a part of the ongoing bits towards building my Gamecube Laptop, still in it's infancy of the design stages, I am going to be building a custom arcade style controller to use as the main controls.

I plan to use Aurelio's controller board for the ease of use and space saving, as I will be using this in the keyboard area of my project and do not want to add any ridiculous amount of thickness to it.

Now I have seen several different controllers on the web that are considered arcade style, which is all well and dandy,

but I haven't seen any that actually make use of all the inputs.

What I am asking here is, what do you guys think would be a comfortable layout for using all available inputs?

I already intend to use the double-tact method for the L and R buttons, and was thinking of trying with a layout similar to last image I showed above when it comes to the main buttons, where the L,R,A,B,X,Y buttons would be accessible with a single hand, and perhaps the c-stick (going to change the actually stick to something more flat) being thumb accessible nearby the primary buttons.

This is the basic work space I am dealing for adding the controls in, I apologize as it is poorly done, and realistically not even scale as I haven't finished an actual design.

The black lines around the edges are the no-mans-land space I intend to use for rubberized material for when I close the laptop, the blue/grey bar where it says System Control Space, is for where I will be putting the assorted controls and switches that power and control the laptop itself, and the center oval is where I will be placing an opening panel that covers the WODE slave board and screen.

What spacing and setup do you guys think would be comfortable to you for a flat arcade style controller?

Acronell

Aquafam
Haha, well yes

Probably copy one of those stick layouts, they look pretty good.
hmm, the problem here is that i wont be able to use a full stick, and though I could make one that screws on and off, it would be more of a hassle than I'd like to deal with, the controls are going to be as close to flush as possible for closing of the laptop.(perhaps I am taking your wording incorrectly)

also not sure as of placing for the c-pad and d-pad

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I was thinking replace the sticks with 3ds sliders or something. You could put larger nubs on the end to make them easier to use.

Acronell

Aquafam
I was thinking replace the sticks with 3ds sliders or something. You could put larger nubs on the end to make them easier to use.
Ah, this could work well, but I am a little wary of using the sliders due to the feel of use when using them on a flat surface, where you aren't wrapping your hands around it, but placing your hands flat on it instead :/

I want to change the sticks or nubs(whichever gets used) to large flat rounded pieces

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I don't suppose you could have it fold down? Like a arcade joystick with a release button that allows it to fold down into the case on a hinge? It would take some doing to get the hinge placement just right so it's level with the case, but I think it could work. All you'd have to do is have wires going from the board to the actual joystick as opposed to the joystick being directly mounted on a board.

It's excessive and probably more effort than it's worth, but it would be totally awesome to pull out your laptop and *bing* an arcade joystick pops out.