Worklog Aran Built By Advent

Portables
1 (Aran)
So finally gotten around to starting a build log
Still a week or so off being able to really get working on the Aran, as im waiting on a couple of parts (U-amp, and orange tacts) and uni work to finish.
Really want to start working on it but ill get there eventually
But patience is
The Name of the Game
20201107_103917.jpg

Most of the parts gathered together for my customary before i build photo.

Once finished the Aran is going to be Metallic Black, with blue buttons and white sticks, i went the Dark Samus route.
Theres a couple of flourishes i have planned, but they are going to be a surprise for now.

Thanks to @Wesk for the case design

Last edited:
Portables
1 (Aran)
So i've finally gotten a chance to work on my Aran build.
Haven't had much time to work on it due to family health issues and school work

But here it is mostly assembled, still need to trim the wii and wire everything together, and program the U-amp i assembled
The light was a little yellow but the wii is metallic black, with bright blue buttons, white joycons and brass mesh on the openings including the speakers
was going for a dark samus theme :)

enjoy
20201220_140759.jpg

20201220_135607.jpg

20201220_135616.jpg

Pablo

Portables
3 - G-Wii, Gamebii, G-Boy
Ooh that's a really nice colour scheme. I like the mesh you've used over the vents, looks clean. For your buttons are those printed SLA or FDM, or did you cast them separately?

Portables
1 (Aran)
Ooh that's a really nice colour scheme. I like the mesh you've used over the vents, looks clean. For your buttons are those printed SLA or FDM, or did you cast them separately?
Thanks!
Its brass mess for model trains and i absolutly love the contrast it has with the black. FDM case with a buttload of sanding, i was going to cast the buttons but decided to stick with the SLA buttons
I even managed to get a pile of wiring done on the top half, most of the buttons are now wired just the L and R to go and the 5-way tact for volume and screen control, the rumble motors are wired up and the LED ready for wiring to the PMS. Photo was taken before i glued in the LED
20201222_135916.jpg

Portables
1 (Aran)
Small update.
Speakers have longer wires now ready for wiring to u-amp.
The u-amp i assembled has now been programmed.
Unfortunately the screen driverboard is currently dead after i tookout a component with a dremel while removing screw posts :(
so now im waiting on a replacement, would have liked to use DirectDrive but thats not an option for a while and a thinner copper sheet for the heatsink.
Hopefully i can finish wiring the headphone port and MXchip.
Slowly getting this done.
20201224_225855.jpg

Portables
1 (Aran)
Aran is nearly done.
since my last post

U-amp has been replaced due to a bridged trace and the large chip being in the wrong orientation
RVL-PMS has been replaced due to the fact i ended up lifting the bat+ pad and then frying the BQ chip, so i had to make a new PMS board which turned out had a flaky 5v boost reg
Thinner copper plate so now everything fits better
Modified the screen board to fit, after the PMS my screens backlight wouldn't turn on, as it turns out the transducer on the backlight circuit was dodgy.
@StonedEdge Thanks for all the trouble shooting on the board via discord late last night.
Safe to say i have never been so happy to see these two little words
20210122_094632.jpg

now to get everything back in its correct position, double check the connections on VGA, reattach the batteries, and then hopefully never have to open this cursed build ever again