Question April 2017- Where can I find a WIIKEY/WASP Fusion?

I'm looking to build a gamecube portable, but I can't find a Wiikey or Wasp Fusion to replace the disc-drive. Does anyone know where to get one nowadays?

Thanks!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
They are no longer in production. You would have to buy one off of someone who already has one. I suggest you build a Wii portable instead as they are pretty much superior in every way. They can be cut much smaller, consume much less energy (better battery life), do not need modchips (USB loading instead) or memory cards (emulated memory cards), can play Wii in addition to GC games, and there is a ton of documentation/guides on this website.

Thanks Jefflongo. I appreciate the info. Ill take a look now. Have you ever seen a slim-looking wii-portable? I haven't. Im hoping to make something like this:
upload_2017-4-13_15-10-8.png

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Look at the cutting edge forum on this website. The answer is that you can make them even smaller.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I'm looking to build a gamecube portable, but I can't find a Wiikey or Wasp Fusion to replace the disc-drive. Does anyone know where to get one nowadays?

Thanks!
Where To Find Wasps

Honestly though, likely a better option to find someone with a stash, I just got mine from someone else here on the forums.

Thanks Jefflongo. I appreciate the info. Ill take a look now. Have you ever seen a slim-looking wii-portable? I haven't. Im hoping to make something like this:
View attachment 2099
I have seen many many slim fitting Wii Portables, I must ask what part of the BH Era you heil from?

Again I jest, I am usually the one to jump up and down about Gamecube portables and the amazingness of them.

If you are brave enough you could attempt to wire up something directly.

pinmatch.jpg

These are the pinouts that match to the Wii DVD pins (virtually the same for the drive based modchips)

Also, though it says 31 unknown, apparently it is actually a sleep mode of some sort, and just wire it to ground. (Mega told me)

Gotta love that weblink title xD

Thank you all! Has anyone stumbled across a good step-by-step for a wii portable? or gamecube portable? I can make the casings no problem- but the electrical work I may need a solid guide. I can solder no problem.

Also- Feel free to message me if you have a wiikey fusion or wasp fusion for sale!

I appreciate the swift help from yall.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Oh boy. This again.

@Benderbot0 You are misinformed. In the past year and a half, portablizing has completely changed, and most information from before has been rendered obsolete.

Have you ever seen a slim-looking wii-portable? I haven't.

Another example: This is my first completed Wii Portable. It has 4 18650 cells in it, and still holds the record for worlds smallest Wii Portable. As far as I know, it is smaller than any battery powered gamecube portable, and maybe smaller than any GCP WITHOUT batteries.

Wii Portables:
Cost less in parts to build
Can be trimmed much smaller and with less effort (smaller portables)
Use MUCH less power than gamecube portables (longer battery life)
Create MUCH less heat than gamecubes do (smaller, cooler cooling systems)
Much more durable (wont break for no goddamn reason like gamecubes do)
Have essentially perfect gamecube compatibility
Do not require modchips
Do not require memory cards (use virtual memory cards, but real ones can be wired)
Can have 480p without a $300 component cable or a GC video

As if that wasn't enough, wii portables also have:
Wii Games
Virtual Console
Wii Ware
Homebrew
Better emulators
MORE emulators

And this isn't even a complete comprehensive list. I could list advantages for hours, but I feel my point is made. Occasionally the stubborn and misinformed attempt a GC portable, but if you look at all the seasoned veterans, none of them are making GameCubes anymore, and its not because we don't like GameCube games. Seriously, don't make a GameCube portable, just make a Wii portable. I promise you won't regret it.

"But if Wii Portables are better, why are there so many gamecube portables and so few Wii portables?"
Gamecube portables were around for years, and were the cutting edge when the community was at its largest, but we live in a different world now. Wii portablizing is a new thing, and its only after the hard work of many dedicated users that it is possible. None of that was available to the community back then, and all the portables on Modretro are simply a product of their time.

Im hoping to make something like this:
That is Tchay's envision. Its known for its beautiful external appearance and widespread popularity. It was the portable that made me want to get into the hobby. However, it is a very controversial portable in the community because it was a complete mess on the inside, and set a bad example for new users, among other things.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Do you by chance have a complete parts list? I'd like to gather the materials ill need before i get started.
The Portablizing BOM is what you are looking for. Its not a complete list, but it's a bunch of links to many useful parts.